10 Movies to Stream When You Aren’t Busy With the Olympics
Get ready for the Olympics to take over your life for the next couple of weeks. In fact, it’s already started. But if you’re lacking in athletic interests — or if you’re just at the limit of your Olympic intake — streaming services across the web are all offering a great variety of movies this weekend. We’ve rounded up 10 gold medal movies so you can spend less time debating options and more time watching. Now if only binge watching was an Olympic sport…
1. Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure on Hulu and Amazon: If you’re in need of a history brush-up, or maybe just a Keanu Reeves brush-up, stream this 1989 classic. Or get sent away to military school. (Photo via IMDB)
2. Clerks on Hulu, Amazon and Netflix: This black-and-white comedy was actually made in 1994, although it may look much older. The story about a pair of friends keeping watch over a convenience store is hysterical, thought-provoking and a classic buddy convo flick. (Photo via Miramax)
FILMS ALL ABOUT THE LAW
3. Donald Trump’s The Art of the Deal: The Movie on Netflix: This new satire from Funny or Die stars a virtually unrecognizable Johnny Depp as, you guessed it, Donald Trump. The 50-minute movie will remind you just how quickly the presidential election has changed in just a few months. (Photo via Funny or Die)
4. Legally Blonde on Hulu and Netflix: There’s nothing like a strong dose of girl power to get you through the weekend. If you need to power through something, put on Elle Woods studying for the LSATS to give you the motivation you need. Now, bend and snap! (Photo via MGM)
FLICKS THAT TAKE YOU TO ANOTHER WORLD
5. The Matrix on Amazon: The second Keanu Reeves film on this list puts the actor in an entirely different role. Watch it IMMEDIATELY if you haven’t yet (it’s referenced all the time), or just re-watch it over and over again until you finally understand what’s happening and who’s actually in the real world. (Photo via Warner Bros.)
6. The Little Prince on Netflix: This touching animated flick, based on the classic French children’s story, takes the well-known characters and gives them depth — literally. It’s beautifully animated and written, and will remind you just how magical the world can be. (Photo via Netflix)
FILMS THAT ARE ALL ABOUT PURSUING THE LADIES
7. Chasing Amy on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon: Ben Affleck plays a man who falls in love with a lesbian. When the film came out in 1997, it was a gritty and boundary-pushing look at sexuality. It’s great to watch it now and see how far we’ve come in less than 10 years. (Photo via Miramax)
8. Lars and the Real Girl on Hulu and Amazon: One of RyGos’s more quirky roles features him as a man who finds his dream girl in a blow-up doll. It’s poignant, clever and — somehow — incredibly romantic. (Photo via MGM)
MOVIES WHERE NOTHING IS AS IT APPEARS
9. Cloverfield on Hulu and Amazon: When Cloverfield came out in 2008, it’s all anybody could talk about. The found-footage thriller just hit Hulu, and it’s just as thrilling as it was eight years ago. Just remember to take motion sickness medicine before you watch it this time. (Photo via Paramount Pictures)
10. The Virgin Suicides on Hulu and Amazon: Deep, terrible secrets lurk underneath the prettiest facades. One of Sofia Coppola’s first films as a director remains a classic today for its portrayal of teen depression in suburbia. Plus, it’s just shot sooooo beautifully. (Photo via American Zoetrope)
What other movies have you seen lately? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via American Zoetrope)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.