13 Modern + Colorful DIY Ideas for Decorating Your Porch This 4th of July
Your house’s front porch is the first impression and mood setter for your home, so you better make sure it is V on point this Independence Day. To make Uncle Sam proud, you’ll want to bring in some seriously festive Fourth of July party vibes without looking too kitschy. Believe it or not, with a few cool and colorful decorations, you’ll be able to rep the good ol’ red, white and blue and have your porch scream “Murica!” for the 4th. These creative ways to upgrade your porch below include ombre mason jar candle holders, shiny metallic bunting banners and much more. Happy decorating!
1. DIY Glitter Candles: A little glitter goes a long way for virtually any craft. It’s no exception when it comes to making these DIY candles. Step up your porch’s *glam* decor game with these modern glittery candles that you can whip up in no time. (via A Pumpkin and a Princess)
2. DIY Summer Wreath: This DIY summer wreath has got it all. “All” meaning bright colors, candy, florals and even metallic detailing. If there’s one wreath you should rock on your front door all summer long, this is it. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
3. DIY Foiled Bunting Banners: Spruce up your porch with good ol’ bunting banners for a timeless twist on patriotism. A little foil in these sparkly and shiny modern essentials is exactly what your porch needs this Fourth of July. (via Damask Love)
4. DIY Ombre Mason Jar Candle Holders: Set the mood in style with these ombre mason jar candle holders. To complete the star spangled banner look, create ombre jars with red stripes, blue stars and a solid or ombre white. All it takes to make these awesome candle holders is spray paint, masking tape and star stickers. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Pom Pom Flag Pillow: This cozy-lookin’ pom pom pillow is sure to make a cute addition to your porch chair. For a more precise finish, jot out the pattern you’d like with a pencil (as opposed to eyeballing it) before gluing on the pom poms. (via The Craft Patch)
6. DIY Tissue Paper Fans: Turn your porch into a whimsical display featuring these lovely fans made from red, white and blue tissue paper. To take this DIY to the next level, experiment by combining two fans to create a tissue paper medallion. (via Martha Stewart)
7. DIY Patriotic Medallions: Brighten up the back of your porch chair(s) with this eye-catching medallion DIY. You can even hang one on your front door as a quick-and-simple patriotic wreath. (via A Night Owl)
8. DIY Red, White + Blue Vases and Lanterns: Upcycle old paint cans with a few cans of spray paint. Choose from three of these unique designs or try them all. A patriotic gradient, a set of stripes and a drilled star on a painted red can will keep your look feeling complete. (via Lowes)
9. DIY Stars and Stripes Pennant: Pennants are a great way to show off your love for a certain team. In this case, it’s team USA (woo hoo!!) Hang them as-is, string them on a garland or secure them onto sticks — the possibilities are endless! (via Fair Goods)
10. DIY American Flag Weaving: Time to get your weaving skills on with this DIY. Don’t worry — once you get the hang of it, it’s easier to make than it seems. Like any weaving project, this could take a while, so get started on it ASAP to have it ready for your porch by the 4th. (via The House That Lars Built)
11. DIY Fourth of July Ombre Wreath: There’s no mistaking this rag wreath as shabby with its super chic ombre design. To really nail the modern look, stick to a thinner style wreath. (via Tell Love and Party)
12. DIY Pineapple Sparkler Centerpieces: You’re never too old for sparklers! Turn the Fourth of July party staple into a decorative porch display using pineapples and spray paint. Once your painted fruits are dry, stick the handle of the sparklers into the soft fruit and light ’em up at dusk! (via Freutcake)
13. DIY Mini Firework Pom Pom Mobile: Create this dreamy fireworks-inspired pom pom mobile using metallic pipe cleaners, clear nylon string and metal hoops. If you’re worried about the forecast calling for windy days, stick to a simple halo made of pom poms, or bring your mobile indoors. (via The Merrythought)
How are you planning on decorating your porch for Independence Day? Follow us on Pinterest for more unique decor ideas and inspo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)