5 Airports That Have Amazing Duty-Free Shopping
With that long-awaited summer trip finally here, you’re about to spend a lot of time realizing that some international airports are way superior to others (and well, nearly all American airports) as you’re on your way to your top travel destination. But that’s not a bad thing, because if you’re on vacation and already in the mood to treat yo’self, you’re going to love the wealth of duty-free options available abroad, which rival stateside prices. US residents are allowed to bring back $800 worth of travel splurges (AKA duty-free goods) before they need to worry about a three to 10 percent tax. We’re sharing the five best airports to shop on-the-go.
1. Seoul Incheon International Airport, South Korea: This is undoubtedly the best airport to layover in. Not only does it have great food courts with a wide variety of cuisines and a sauna where you can relax while waiting for your next flight, this airport offers a wealth of duty-free and luxury shopping to distract yourself. There are three outlets — Lotte DFS, Shilla DFS, and Duty-Free Korea — that are stocked with high-end cosmetics and accessories, as well as Korean beauty products, which are a bit tougher to find for cheap stateside.
2. Hamad International Airport, Qatar: Qatar is known for its decadence, and this airport is no different. Possibly the best place to shop for luxury duty-free goods, Hamad International is also open 24 hours a day. That means that if your connecting flight is in the middle of the night, you’ll still have an opportunity to shop luxury brands from Harrods to Hermes and Tiffany’s at unrivaled prices. The quirky modern art installations all over the airport are a bonus.
3. Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore: There’s a reason why many travelers in Asia often choose Singapore for their connecting flights. Not only is it a hub city where flight prices are generally cheaper, the airport is a destination in itself, boasting some of the best shopping and cuisine. With 350 stores, you’ll have an incredible selection of goods at your fingertips — all without having to go through customs.
4. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Netherlands: Not only is Schiphol a beautiful airport with many interesting things to do, like relaxing in a rooftop viewing area, its duty-free stores also feature monthly deals which are clearly marked near the entrance (or you can check them out online). Another Holland perk that you won’t experience elsewhere is that Schiphol offers really good deals on tulip seeds and bulbs, so if you are hurting for last-minute gifts, these famous Dutch bulbs are great to pick up for friends and family (or yourself, master gardeners). (Photo via Christopher Furlong/Getty)
5. Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong: Hong Kong is known for its shopping culture, and the airport does not disappoint. Hong Kong International Airport has a “downtown pricing guarantee,” which promises travelers that the retail prices are no higher than the ones slapped on products found in the city. Head here for high-end jewelry, alcohol, electronics and cosmetics you didn’t find during your time in the city.
What’s your favorite airport to shop in? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)