We Made Animal Cracker Panna Cotta and It Was Awesome
We’ll admit a good ‘ol panna cotta is pretty delicious. Rich, creamy and surprisingly easy to make — what’s not to like? Well, we’re giving it a unique spin to celebrate that time-honored holiday, Animal Cracker Day. This recipe features a v. intriguing ingredient: animal cracker milk (stay with us here). Once you go animal, you won’t go back. If you’re super into animals, these would also be a good addition to an animal-inspired wedding (yeah, that’s a thing). Read on to get the full, scrumptious recipe.
Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
— 2 boxes animal crackers
— 2 cups whole milk
— 3 teaspoons powdered gelatin (about 1 1/2 packets)
— 1/3 cup sugar
— 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
— 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Crumble your animal crackers in a sealed plastic bag using a rolling pin. Set some crumbles aside for topping.
2. Pour the milk into a large bowl, then add the animal cracker crumbs. Let steep for about an hour.
3. Strain the milk and put it into a saucepan.
4. Lightly sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let it bloom for 5 minutes, until the top of the milk is wrinkly.
5. Gently heat the milk, making sure NOT to boil. Lightly stir to make the gelatin dissolve.
6. After the gelatin dissolves, slowly stir in the sugar. Continue to heat until the sugar dissolves.
7. Remove from heat and add in cream, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
8. Chill in the fridge for 2-4 hours, or until the panna cotta is solid.
9. Crumble the rest of the animal crackers on top. We also added a bit of espresso on top to complement the creaminess of the panna cotta. It goes together perfectly!
When you’re crumbling the cookies, it doesn’t have to be too fine. Just enough to get that animal cracker flavor into the milk.
Mmmm…. Just like cereal milk!
Heating the milk is the most important part, so make sure to pay careful attention. Can’t let that milk boil!
Once the cream is in, add it to cups, ramekins or jars — whatever you plan to serve it in!
The hardest part is waiting ;)
Crumble the rest of the animal crackers on top. We also added a bit of espresso on top to complement the creaminess of the panna cotta. It goes together perfectly!
Ta-da! Scrumptious panna cotta with a playful twist.
Show us your animal cracker creations on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)