January is a time for new beginnings. Resolutions are fresh, 2016 planners and calendars are bought and there’s a feeling of endless possibility in the air. There’s no better time to welcome a new little human into the world. If you’re searching for a creative baby name that captures that hopeful feeling of a fresh, new year, scroll through to find the perfect one!
1. Aurora: It’s another name for the gorgeous Northern Lights, and the name of a Roman goddess of sunrise. This one just feels flat-out majestic and very new beginnings-esque. What better way to welcome a New Year’s baby? Plus, it’s got super cute nickname potential: Rory.
2. Iola: Here’s a Greek word that means “violet-colored dawn.” How absolutely gorgeous is that?!
3. Neo: This Greek word means new. It’s super cute — can’t you just imagine a two-year-old Neo running around your house raising havoc?!
4. Hope: There’s no better name to capture that new-year hopefulness. This is a great choice for parents who want a name with meaning that’s still somewhat traditional.
5. Esparanza: The Spanish word for hope, this one’s another gorgeous way to honor the new year and the warm, fuzzy, hopeful feelings it brings.
6. Nova: The meaning behind Nova is a star that suddenly increases in brightness. What a beautiful way to mark the arrival (kicking and screaming, we’re sure) of your bright and new little bundle of joy.
7. Ace: Symbolize a fresh start with this super cute and playful name.
8. Arun: Doesn’t January kind of feel like the dawn of the year? Arun means “dawn” in Hindu, making it a really nice symbolic choice.
9. Genesis: This one means new beginnings. It’s a great choice for parents who are looking for a super unique name that still rolls off the tongue for their little one.
10. Zora: A Slavic word that means “dawn,” this name became well-known via the super powerful writer and leader of the Harlem Renaissance, Zora Neale Hurston.
11. Asher: This one means “blessed” or “happy,” and is a great way to symbolize what your new-year baby means to you! The meaning behind it could be either how your little one makes you feel, how you hope they feel always or both.
12. Iris: This is the name of the Greek goddess of the rainbow, not to mention the gorgeous flower. Super pretty and meaningful, this one’s perfect for your delicate little bundle of joy.
13. Xavier: Meaning “new house,” this could be a metaphor for the new light your little one will bring to your home. Plus, it sounds very regal and distinguished, so they’ll probably thank you later in life.
14. Keiba: A Hawaiian word for “sunrise,” Keiba is super endearing. There won’t be much risk of having the same name as the other kids at daycare.
15. January: We just had to include this one. We love month-names, and January is no exception. Bonus points if your last name also starts with a J, à la the gorgeous January Jones.
Are you having a New Year baby? What names are you thinking about? Tweet us about them at @BritandCo!
(Photos via Daniel Berehulak, John Moore + Brent Stirton/Getty)