Get Creative With 11 Maker-Approved Apps
If you’ve watched our #iamcreative video, then you are aware that 77% of adults want to be creative, but don’t know where to start. Fortunately, there are millions of resources out there to inspire creativity and get you on your way — resources literally at your fingertips! We checked in with some of our favorite B+C Makers, and organized this roundup of their favorite apps to help you step up your creative game.
1. Pinterest: Pinterest is the perfect place to find your next hobby, dinner recipe or DIY project. Makers can use this free social network to share inspiration with clients. “I use it a lot to communicate styles with my clients, and for [personal] inspiration.” – Shana of Fox & Doll
2. Instagram: Survey says! Every maker we talked to listed Instagram as their number one source for creativity. Um… DUH! If you don’t have an Instagram account, what are you waiting for?! And forget the selfies for now; this social network is another freebie that can be a priceless tool for developing your brand aesthetic and sharing a peek at your creative process. “Instagram is my favorite app. I am always looking for inspiration, posting images and finding new creatives.” – Melanie Abrantes
3. Etsy: An online marketplace where you can buy and sell unique goods. How can you NOT be inspired? It’s also a good place to check out the competition and where there are voids in your field.
4. Twitter: Nowadays you can put your own name in lights with a simple, share-worthy Tweet or status update. Use social media as a tool to tell the world about you and what you’re making. “Twitter and Instagram are my go-to apps. Both apps keep me in touch with friends and family and allow me to post a quick update.” – Jella Roson of Honey My Heart
1. VSCO Cam: “Photography is a huge part of my business, from product photography and styling to behind the scenes of my studio. I absolutely love VSCOcam. The camera is simple and straightforward and the filters are the best.” – Lisa Schaffer of Zelma Rose
2. Diptic: No doubt you have seen the #diptic hashtag while perusing your Instagram feed. This handy app allows you to combine photos together.
4. Steller: This new photo app also emphasizes the importance of storytelling. Get inspired as you flip through digital storybooks that juxtapose both photos and beautiful narratives.
1. Clear: “Clear is a simple and stylish organization app that helps us stay on task. It’s basically just a really good looking and easy-to-use checklist. That feeling of ticking things off of a list is just so gratifying.” – Second Sun
So what are you waiting for? Snag these apps and start looking for inspiration on your phone, or in the everyday. Trust us. Creative inspiration is out there.
Have a favorite creative app that isn’t on our list? Let us know in the comments below!