6 Brilliant Ways to Beautify Boring Bookshelves
We all know that it’s what’s on the bookshelf that really counts. A plain, empty bookshelf doesn’t really make or break a room — until now. Your big, comfy couch is great and all, but why not make your shelves the conversation piece? From colorful paint to funky wallpaper, here are beyond brilliant ways to hack your bookcase.
1. Funky Fabric: Fabric-lined shelves create the ideal backdrop for vintage objects and flower bouquets. While you could go with a neutral, where’s the fun in that? (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Damask Wallpaper: Use damask wallpaper in a pastel tone on a white bookshelf for a clean, classic vibe. Bonus points for gold accent pieces on the shelves. (via Best Friends For Frosting)
3. DIY Sharpie Bookshelf Lining: Use a Sharpie and printer paper to create a simple design, then take the paper to Kinko’s (or a similar store) to have the design copied onto blueprint panels. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Herringbone: If you like puzzles, you’ll have a blast using pieces of wood to create this satisfying herringbone pattern. Then you can paint it the color of your choice for a bookshelf that makes a statement. (via Our House Now a Home)
5. Painted Crates: Use spray-painted crates to make a playful modular bookcase, which can hold anything from books to photos to plants. (via Brit + Co)
6. No Books At All: Your bookshelf doesn’t have to hold books to look amazing. Fill each section of your case with single statement pieces, like vases or cute storage boxes, for a polished appearance. (via Best Friends For Frosting)
How are you beautifying your bookshelves? Tweet us a pic of your DIY project!
Additional reporting by Sara Cagle
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)