6 Brilliant Ways to Beautify Boring Bookshelves
We all know that it’s what’s on the bookshelf that really counts. A plain, empty bookshelf doesn’t really make or break a room — until now. Your big, comfy couch is great and all, but why not make your shelves the conversation piece? From colorful paint to funky wallpaper, here are beyond brilliant ways to hack your bookcase.
1. Funky Fabric: Fabric-lined shelves create the ideal backdrop for vintage objects and flower bouquets. While you could go with a neutral, where’s the fun in that? (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Damask Wallpaper: Use damask wallpaper in a pastel tone on a white bookshelf for a clean, classic vibe. Bonus points for gold accent pieces on the shelves. (via Best Friends For Frosting)
3. DIY Sharpie Bookshelf Lining: Use a Sharpie and printer paper to create a simple design, then take the paper to Kinko’s (or a similar store) to have the design copied onto blueprint panels. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Herringbone: If you like puzzles, you’ll have a blast using pieces of wood to create this satisfying herringbone pattern. Then you can paint it the color of your choice for a bookshelf that makes a statement. (via Our House Now a Home)
5. Painted Crates: Use spray-painted crates to make a playful modular bookcase, which can hold anything from books to photos to plants. (via Brit + Co)
6. No Books At All: Your bookshelf doesn’t have to hold books to look amazing. Fill each section of your case with single statement pieces, like vases or cute storage boxes, for a polished appearance. (via Best Friends For Frosting)
How are you beautifying your bookshelves? Tweet us a pic of your DIY project!
Additional reporting by Sara Cagle