Make That Cake Mix a Masterpiece: 23 Upgraded Dessert Recipes
It’s almost unbelievable that these stunning desserts all came from box mixes. There is absolutely no shame in reaching for a box. We are busy people and sometimes you just need a quick cake for that last-minute dessert emergency. With a few extra ingredients and a bit of creativity, you’ll have everyone believing you spent hours in the kitchen with these gorgeous desserts. From milkshakes, cookies, bars and even a couple cakes, here are 23 desserts that will satisfy your sweet tooth with the greatest of ease.
1. Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars: If these aren’t gooey enough for you, nothing ever will be! Yellow cake mix topped with coconut flakes, butterscotch and chocolate chips will have you singing a sweet, sweet song. (via Averie Cooks)
3. Mini Tea Cakewiches With Green Tea Frosting: Yes, it’s a “tea” sandwich made with jasmine and green tea and a white cake mix, these tasty bits are absolutely adorable all covered in sprinkles. Tea anyone? (via Brit + Co.)
4. Coconut Cupcakes: A simple vanilla cake mix is topped with a divine buttercream frosting made with coconut milk and lime zest for a light dessert perfect for warmer weather. (via My Baking Addiction)
7. Homemade Twinkies: Twinkies are amazing little logs of preservatives that no one wants to admit to eating, but now you can make your own, dare we say, “healthier” version with yellow cake mix. (via Averie Bakes)
10. Cake Batter Milkshakes: Here’s a three ingredient recipe that will have all the boys in your yard. Use a funfetti cake mix for these creamy milkshakes, or add cake mix to your goods the next time you make ice cream for cake batter flavor! (via Cooking Classy)
14. Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies With Vanilla Cream Frosting: You are never too old to enjoy a pretty pink cookie with thick white frosting and pink sprinkles. (via Averie Cooks)
16. Gooey Red Velvet Brownie Cake: Who knew you could bake a cake and a batch of brownies together in the same pan? Top that with a thick cream cheese frosting that has the consistency of no-bake cheesecake, and you have a dessert worth drooling over. (via Beyond Frosting)
17. Pastel Confetti Cake: One of the best things about spring is all the colors! Six layers of colored cake covered in jumbo sprinkles will make for a stunning centerpiece at your next spring jam! (via Brit + Co.)
20. Take 5 Cupcakes: Chocolate, peanut butter, pretzels and caramel… you cannot go wrong with that combination. The chocolate cake mix makes for a thick enough batter to load up with candy bar pieces. (via My Baking Addiction)
21. Golden Oreo Blondies: Perfect with a cold glass of milk, these rich brownies have three layers — cookie dough, blonde Oreos and a yellow cake batter to top everything off. Oh dear. (via Life With the Crust Cut Off)
22. Creamy Mixed Berry White Chocolate Crumble Bars: The base layer is oats and cake mix, and the top is a delicious, creamy blend of coconut flakes, seasonal berries and white chocolate. (via Averie Cooks)
23. Pina Colada White Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies: Even though Cinco de Mayo is over, there is no reason you can’t keep the party going with these delicious coconut/pineapple flavored cookies. (via Averie Cooks)
How do you upgrade your boxed cake mix? Let us know in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.