Make That Cake Mix a Masterpiece: 23 Upgraded Dessert Recipes
It’s almost unbelievable that these stunning desserts all came from box mixes. There is absolutely no shame in reaching for a box. We are busy people and sometimes you just need a quick cake for that last-minute dessert emergency. With a few extra ingredients and a bit of creativity, you’ll have everyone believing you spent hours in the kitchen with these gorgeous desserts. From milkshakes, cookies, bars and even a couple cakes, here are 23 desserts that will satisfy your sweet tooth with the greatest of ease.
1. Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars: If these aren’t gooey enough for you, nothing ever will be! Yellow cake mix topped with coconut flakes, butterscotch and chocolate chips will have you singing a sweet, sweet song. (via Averie Cooks)
3. Mini Tea Cakewiches With Green Tea Frosting: Yes, it’s a “tea” sandwich made with jasmine and green tea and a white cake mix, these tasty bits are absolutely adorable all covered in sprinkles. Tea anyone? (via Brit + Co.)
4. Coconut Cupcakes: A simple vanilla cake mix is topped with a divine buttercream frosting made with coconut milk and lime zest for a light dessert perfect for warmer weather. (via My Baking Addiction)
7. Homemade Twinkies: Twinkies are amazing little logs of preservatives that no one wants to admit to eating, but now you can make your own, dare we say, “healthier” version with yellow cake mix. (via Averie Bakes)
10. Cake Batter Milkshakes: Here’s a three ingredient recipe that will have all the boys in your yard. Use a funfetti cake mix for these creamy milkshakes, or add cake mix to your goods the next time you make ice cream for cake batter flavor! (via Cooking Classy)
14. Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies With Vanilla Cream Frosting: You are never too old to enjoy a pretty pink cookie with thick white frosting and pink sprinkles. (via Averie Cooks)
16. Gooey Red Velvet Brownie Cake: Who knew you could bake a cake and a batch of brownies together in the same pan? Top that with a thick cream cheese frosting that has the consistency of no-bake cheesecake, and you have a dessert worth drooling over. (via Beyond Frosting)
17. Pastel Confetti Cake: One of the best things about spring is all the colors! Six layers of colored cake covered in jumbo sprinkles will make for a stunning centerpiece at your next spring jam! (via Brit + Co.)
20. Take 5 Cupcakes: Chocolate, peanut butter, pretzels and caramel… you cannot go wrong with that combination. The chocolate cake mix makes for a thick enough batter to load up with candy bar pieces. (via My Baking Addiction)
21. Golden Oreo Blondies: Perfect with a cold glass of milk, these rich brownies have three layers — cookie dough, blonde Oreos and a yellow cake batter to top everything off. Oh dear. (via Life With the Crust Cut Off)
22. Creamy Mixed Berry White Chocolate Crumble Bars: The base layer is oats and cake mix, and the top is a delicious, creamy blend of coconut flakes, seasonal berries and white chocolate. (via Averie Cooks)
23. Pina Colada White Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies: Even though Cinco de Mayo is over, there is no reason you can’t keep the party going with these delicious coconut/pineapple flavored cookies. (via Averie Cooks)
How do you upgrade your boxed cake mix? Let us know in the comments below!