15 California-Inspired Burgers, Burritos, and More Recipes
California is known for leading the curve in more than one area, including fresh food. Avocado recipes abound, the spiralizer was welcomed with open arms, and with all that sunshine, refreshing salads are the name of the game pretty much every day. But California-inspired foods aren’t just about the veggies. Burgers, burritos, and loaded fries can take their inspiration from the Golden State too. These 15 recipes put the best of California flavors in every bite.
5. California Wedge Salad: Just a few simple upgrades take the wedge salad from boring steakhouse standby to fresh and exciting fare. Prosciutto steps in for bacon, the dressing is homemade buttermilk ranch, and, of course, it’s topped with creamy avocado. (via Little Broken)
6. California Veggie Burger Pizza: Loaded with fresh ingredients, this California-style pizza gives the traditional stuff a run for its money. Veggie burgers, arugula, and pesto combine to make this a meal worth making. (via Whole and Heavenly Oven)
7. California Carne Asada Burritos: French fries are the secret to making a classic southern California-style burrito. They’re joined by carne asada and extra cheese in this filling recipe. (via Carlsbad Cravings)
8. Slow Cooker California Chicken Bowls: Skip the tortilla and opt for these whole grain and veggie bowls instead. They’ll make you feel less stuffed than a big burrito, but still pack the same variety of satisfying flavors. (via Slow Cooker Gourmet)
9. California Steak Salad With Chimichurri Dressing: The key to California cooking is to pair rich ingredients, like steak, with plenty of lighter, fresh items. Tossed with vegetables and greens, this salad is drizzled with an herb-filled chimichurri dressing so it tastes extra-bright. (via Joyful Healthy Eats)
10. Carne Asada Fries: You can make loaded fries a tad healthier with just a few tweaks. Baked potatoes instead of fried form the base, while grilled meat, guac, and a sensible amount of cheese and sour cream round out the plate. (via Downshiftology)
11. California Shrimp Sushi Bowl: Easily made with shrimp, avocado, and rice, these bowls are much simpler than trying to deal with rolling nori. Best of all, they take less than 30 minutes to get on the table. (via Also the Crumbs Please)
12. California Kale Taco Salad: It’s stereotypical, sure, but California cuisine just wouldn’t be complete without kale. It provides a hearty green base for these colorful taco salads. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
13. California Cobb Wraps: Loaded into whole wheat tortillas, this is the easiest way to eat a ton of nutritious veggies. Grilled chicken and a hard-boiled egg add some protein to the mix, so you won’t feel hungry when you leave the table. (via With Salt and Pepper)
14. California Roll Low-Carb Sushi Stacks: Skip the rice and get right to the good stuff with these low-carb sushi stacks. They’re made with a Greek yogurt Sriracha sauce that gives each bite a little kick. (via It’s Cheat Day Everyday)
15. California Veggie Sandwiches: Crunchy, creamy, and soft, these sandwiches are filled sprouts, avocado, and veggies, making them perfect for days when you’re in the mood for a lighter meal. (via Pickled Plum Recipes)
For more dinner inspiration, follow us on Pinterest.