Meet the Healthier Version of Your Favorite Sandwich
Cheese is one of those things that no one should live without. If it was up to me, I would re-write the food pyramid with cheese at the top :) Today we have updated our favorite sandwich — grilled cheese — for those who are carb conscious or gluten-free. It’s simple, tasty, and makes for the perfect lunchtime meal or a secret veggie-filled alternative for the kiddo’s lunchbox.
— 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
— 4 slices of cheddar cheese
— 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
— one egg
— one head of cauliflower
1. Break off chunks of cauliflower and pulse in the food processor until it forms rice-size crumbs.
2. Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for two minutes. Stir cauliflower and place back in the microwave for three minutes. Remove, stir and place back in the microwave for five minutes. Then one last time — remove, stir and microwave for five minutes.
3. Add in egg, Parmesan cheese and seasoning, then stir to combine. Divide into four equal parts and place on a lined baking sheet. Use your fingers to shape the dough into a square slice of “bread,” about 1/2-inch thick.
4. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15 minutes in a 450-degree Fahrenheit oven. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
5. Add two slices of cheddar cheese on a cauliflower patty and then cover with another cauliflower slice. Place sandwich on a baking tray and broil in the oven or toaster oven for about five minutes.
Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it forms small rice-like pieces.
Now it’s time to cook the cauliflower. You can steam it or simply cook it in the microwave. Place in the microwave for fifteen minutes — stopping and stirring every five minutes.
Mix egg, seasoning and Parmesan cheese into the cauliflower.
Separate dough into four equal sections and create 1/2-inch thick slices of bread. Mold on parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes in a 450-degree oven.
Let slices cool and then top with slices of cheddar cheese. Stack the second cauliflower patty on top and place back in the oven for five minutes.
Now I am a HUGE fan of grilled cheese and get pretty upset when it’s not done correctly. This healthier take on grilled cheese did not disappoint. It was crunchy, gooey and full of flavor.
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production and Styling: Kelly Bryden
Photography: Brittany Griffin