While Rihanna stole the show at this week’s CFDA Awards, shinning like a (very, VERY naked) diamond, our eyes were still on celebrities like Lupita Nyong’o and Blake Lively — and what they were actually wearing ;) There’s been lots of buzz on who wore what, from Target exec Noria Morales’s $90 dress, the most budget friendly look of the event to Olivia Wilde wearing the exact same dress that Anjelica Huston wore in 1974 (more on that later). We know you want the $$$ looks, so we’re bringing them to you on a more $-based budget.
1. Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Striped V-Neck Dress ($85): Rising star, Lupita Nyong’o pulled off another look to cement herself as a fashion risk-taker who will always have our attention on the red carpet (and off). The actress wore the multi-colored stripe ensemble by Suno — so close to this Tommy dress!
2. Silk Georgette One Shoulder Gown ($550): Jennifer Hudson wore a black one-shoulder KaufumanFranco gown. Her feminine short hair and orange-red lip complemented her update version of the LBD. To steal the look, pick up this light and summery version from Ann Taylor. It comes in white as well, which could be a beautiful summer wedding dress.
3. Night Club Sequin Mini Dress ($16): Blake Lively resembles a true ’60s bombshell in a Michael Kors mini dress. Who knew you could get the golden girl’s look for just $16?
4. Chiffon A-Line High Collar Prom Dress ($180): Emmy Rossum’s J Mendel lime green dress was a smart choice. Sweeten up your own style with a lemon chiffon gown.
5. Gold Plisse Maxi Dress ($49): Solange Knowles shimmered in a silver and gold Calvin Klein gown. She simply let the gown speak for itself by keeping accessories to a minimum. Solange’s look can be recreated for just $50. Keep it simple and let the dress (and yourself) shine!
6. Oasis Cage Back Dress ($55): Supermodel Chrissy Teigen scored sky high points with this fiery orange mini dress topped off by a sassy blazer by Rachel Roy. Style Chrissy’s look by opting for this budget-friendly mini dress with a crisp blazer. Pick two different hues of orange for a look that’s ready for the red carpet.
7. Jill Stuart Pleated Stretch Silk Gown ($214): Alessandra Ambrosio, joined the orange-red sizzling style at CFDA with a Nonoo gown accented by a sweetheart bodice. Absolutely stunning, this Jill Stuart gown is as close as it gets!
8. Aqua One Shoulder Fringe Dress ($144): New mom Olivia Wilde showed off a one-shouldered fringe dress and surfed the wave of the ’90s fashion phenom we’re so fond of. Yet, this dress actually dates all the way back to 1974, when actress Anjelica Huston wore it. (Olivia purchased the dress from an LA consignment just for the event — this gives us inspo for our own thrift store adventures!) Make your version mini. It travels well to anything from a cocktail party to a wedding reception.
9. Sequin Tulle Sleeveless Dress ($450): Last but not least, Rihanna. The singer received the Fashion Icon Award and wowed all in attendance with her barely-there, custom-made Adam Selman floor-length sparkling stunner. You may not want to go the super sheer route, but you can achieve the same wow factor with this more modest version of the look.
Do you have a favorite look from the event? What about copycat ideas? Share your thoughts with us below!