After some unseasonably warm temps, winter is back at full force, which means it’s once again time to pile on those layers. Enter: your rotation of trusty knits, over-the-knee boots and bulky, cold-weather toppers that may or may not make you look like a marshmallow in disguise. But to be honest, bulk is way less of a concern than color. A brightly colored coat or one with a striking silhouette is stand-out-from-the-crowd material, but a coat with zero pizzazz? Cue the winter blues. Nail a bold and cheery winter look in one of these 18 statement-making coats that will combat the elements in style.
1. Zara Wool Coat ($70): On Wednesdays, we wear pink (wool toppers)… and now you can too. Wear this streamlined coat with a stylish sweatshirt, sequined pants and some chandelier earrings for your next GNO.
2. Silence + Noise Nubby Hooded Duster Jacket ($179): Now that robes are acceptable to wear outside of your bedroom, winter just got so much cozier. Style up this ultra casual layer with sporty tennies and stylish joggers for a look that doesn’t mess around.
3. Monki Belted Jacket ($135): Get spotted a mile away in this fluorescent green, belted coat that gives off major #lazygirl vibes. Pair with monochromatic sneakers and fleece-lined leggings for a trip to the gym.
4. FRS Suedette Multi-Color Trench Coat ($83): Add a dose of color blocking to your nine-to-five look with this retro suede trench coat. For a one-and-done look, team it up with a white button-down, flared trousers and pointed toe ankle boots.
5. FRS Army Green Oversized Quilted Jacket ($74): Swap out your more lightweight field jacket — you know, the one that you wear everywhere — for this heavy-duty quilted number in a versatile army green. For a considerably more downtown look, style it with black jeans and Chelsea boots or a LBJ (little black jumpsuit) for a night out.
6. Kenneth Cole New York Brushed Plaid Reefer Coat ($128): Calling all self-proclaimed cool girls: THIS is the oversized plaid jacket that will always do you right. The menswear-inspired silhouette is practically begging to be paired with some metallic platform oxfords and a cross-body satchel.
7. Old Navy Lightweight Quilted Jacket ($65): It’s hard to hate on winter weather when you have a quilted jacket this bright + cheery in your arsenal. Hit the slopes in style by layering this guy up with a fisherman sweater, your favorite plaid and a durable pair of snow boots.
8. H&M Hooded Wool-Blend Coat ($99): Do less this winter by embracing a foolproof athleisure look. Going hand-in-hand with your Adidas Sambas and a slew of everyday beanies, this hooded wool coat (with pockets!) can do no wrong.
9. Topshop Wool Blend Coat ($170): Proof that less is so much more, this boxy, cream-colored coat is everything. The leather trim and bold eyelets will fit right in with your minimalist aesthetic for a street-inspired ensemble.
10. Zara Turquoise Green Wool Coat ($149): Trekking out into the snow is a smidge more bearable when you have a turquoise green coat this swoon-inducing to fall back on. DO style it up with marled knits and a playful pom beanie.
11. Free People Denim Car Coat ($168): On the rare occasion that it’s not borderline freezing outside, opt for this denim coat that can be layered over a turtleneck sweater for a boho look.
12. & Other Stories Leopard Coat ($175): For an evening-appropriate look — read: no unsightly puffers or bulky parkas here — this faux fur leopard coat will have you winter gala-ready in no time. Swap out the snow boots for a pair of party pumps and hit the town in style.
13. Madewell Textured Cocoon Coat ($298): Keep the wardrobe conundrums at bay with this cocoon coat that sports next-level tonal stripes. Pair it with anything from black velvet overalls to plain ol’ jeans for a polished look that never gets old.
14. The Fifth Label The Great Divide Coat ($135): Do we spy Rose Quartz, aka one of two Pantone colors of the year? Oh yeah. Snatch up this streamlined pink-and-gray coat — a perfect match for all of your winter whites — while you still can, ‘cause it won’t be up for grabs much longer.
15. Forever 21 High-Collar Faux Fur Jacket ($63): Unleash your inner diva with this shaggy, faux fur jacket that is definitely red carpet-worthy. Team it up with a sheer lace gown and a celeb-approved choker necklace for a head-turning look.
16. Without Walls Reversible City Bomber Jacket ($99): Join the bomb squad with this reversible bomber jacket that’s all quilted on one side and satin on the other. The cropped silhouette makes it the quintessential layering piece for all of your off-duty days.
17. Front Row Shop Faux Fur Coat in Color Block ($102): For Valentine’s Day (and beyond), style this edgy, faux fur topper up with a neck-plunging maxi dress or a gold pleat skirt. Patent ankle booties and a bold red lippy are obligatory.
18. Urban Outfitters Numph Rebecca Parka ($249): This just in: Not all parkas are created equal. Not frumpy in the least, this navy parka with a faux fur hood will instantly edge up any outfit. For a sartorially approved getup, style it with a wooly sweater dress and biker boots.
Which of these versatile coats will you be cozying up to this winter? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful + fun style inspo.