Cozy Girl Style Guide: 10 Ways to Dress Detox After the Holidays
After squeezing into slinky dresses and strapping on glitzy heels all holiday season long, the cozy girl in us is really looking forward to January 1 — a date that finally does not call for sequined anything. But after being in a party state of mind for a full month (or more), it might not feel natural to reach for that turtleneck — after all, you’ve been passing up anything remotely comfy for crop tops till now. Reversing that behavior will take some time, so start the party dress detox now with these 10 rules to help guide you through this impossibly cozy style transition. Below, we’ve listed the best garments for wearing both on and off the couch — that versatility is key — along with tips on how to style everything from kimonos to joggers now and all the way through spring. Get ready for a much comfier you in the new year.
1. Search for the perfect joggers: Joggers can be deceptive. As effortless as they appear, it takes time to find a pair with just the right fit — slouchy, but not too baggy, tapered just so and durable enough that they don’t stretch out of shape after a marathon wear over a long weekend. These American Giant sweatpants ($69) tick all thoes boxes and more — from the made in the USA tag to the affordable price, we’d have to say we’ve officially found the perfect pair. While the black version shown above is on backorder till January 30 (after our test run, we’d say they’re worth the wait), you can now grab a pair in navy, just do it fast.
Wear it now: Pulled down over heeled lace-up boots. Keep the look sleek with a structured overcoat and your hair back in a low bun.
Change it up for spring: Scrunched up your calves to show off those low-top sneakers. Round out the sporty vibe with a distressed tee and pin-straight hair.
2. Buy a kimono that can double as a jacket: Sure, the silkier cover-ups are seriously dreamy, but they’re also the first thing that’s resigned to a bedroom layer the second brisk weather turns cold. To keep this style as versatile as possible, opt for a kimono coat — a heavier, more structured version of the wide-sleeved garment — that you can *actually* wear straight out of bed to the coffee shop. One with a contrast belt like this Sunday in Brooklyn Geo-Quilted Kimono ($88) dresses up the boxy silhouette even more.
Wear it now: Tied over a turtleneck sweater and a maxi skirt. Top it off with a felt panama hat to take it to a chic place.
Change it up for spring: Draped over your shoulders with a sleeveless, wide-legged jumpsuit and open-toe heels.
3. The more boyfriend jeans, the better: Let 2015 be the year of relaxed denim, so stock your closet with loose-fitting styles that you can mix and match for work and the weekend. For your 9 to 5, try the dark wash GAP 1969 Sexy Boyfriend Jeans ($70) or the dressed up Paige Denim Jimmy Jimmy Knee Patch Boyfriend Jeans in Nico Blue ($239). Make the distressedRag & Bone the Boyfriend Jeans ($154) your go-to for off-duty style and switch it up with BDG Slim Boyfriend Jeans in Dolly Wash ($40).
Wear it now: With ankle boots, a leather biker jacket and a pop-of-color scarf to take off some edge.
Change it up for spring: Styled with simple pumps and a classic button-down. A braided belt and a slicked-back low pony will finish the prep school-inspired look nicely.
4. Slip into supportive shoes:There’s no point in lacing up or buckling boots when you can just slip right into majorly supportive clogs, which today mix everything we love about the footwear’s traditionally handcrafted history with updated design for modern sensibilities. In these Hanna Andersson Swedish Modern Clogs by Maguba ($149), you’ll be sure to get a nod of approval from the fashion girl in your apartment building.
Wear it now: Slipped over chunky socks with slim-fit overalls and a cropped sweater — a look that says you know how to work winter layers.
Change it up for spring: Sock-free with a casual midi dress (see below) and your hair in a loose high bun.
5. Fall in love with the midi hemline: The most fuss-free hemline of all (you’ll never have to tug down or lift up this in-between style) is also the easiest way to look instantly polished in a day dress — that’s the magic of this below-the-knee cut. Consider this Forever 21 Heathered Midi Dress ($20) a secret weapon for a truly put-together last minute look.
Wear it now: Under a longline wool trench with heeled booties. Plus, this dress is asking for a major statement necklace.
Change it up for spring: Without layers: just pair with modern clogs (see above) and a straight-down-the-center hair part.
6. White sneakers will make the outfit: Truth: there is a cozier goes-with-everything shoe besides the ankle boot, and that’s the all-white sneaker. A favorite of style bloggers all throughout 2014, a crisp tennis shoe like these Superga Canvas Sneakers ($65) might be the easiest way to dip your toes into the athleisure trend that’s about to take over 2015.
Wear it now: Balanced with other sporty and chic elements like an oversized camel coat and straight-legged jeans. Accessorize with a beanie and a bright coral lip.
Change it up for spring: Styled with a black bodycon maxi dress and your hair pulled up into a half top knot.
7. Hunt down next-level basics: When the goal is to dress effortlessly and look just the same, high-quality basics are essential. Luckily, that doesn’t mean you’ll have to throw down for a top-notch tee. This Everlane the Cotton Drop-Shoulder Tee ($22) reimagines the classic crew neck with drop shoulders made in the lightest, softest cotton, and all for less than half the price of traditional retailers. These are the staples to stock up on in the new year.
Wear it now: Loose over wide-legged trousers with pointy flats — let those messy waves down, too.
Change it up for spring: Tucked into high-waisted flares under a silky bomber jacket. Leave the t-shirt blank and instead accessorize with stacking rings.
8. When in doubt, wear a beanie: Whether you’re using it as a hair hack or it’s legit cold outside, this seasonal golden rule still rings true. Since it’s a daily go-to for more than half the year, invest in a statement piece like this Labor of Love the Beanie ($62) that will make sure all eyes are on it and not on your bed head peeking underneath.
Wear it now: Over fishtail braids and with a just-as-bold scarf tucked into an olive green parka.
Change it up for spring: Channeling your inner ’90s it girl on top of a casual Gibson roll with a plain smock dress and Docs.
9. Go a size up in all your knits: In 2015, the only size that should matter is “too big.” Play into the oversized look up top (’cause you already went there with your jeans) by stocking up on big and boxy knits like this Madewell Brushblock Turtleneck Sweater ($128). Pssst, if you’re having trouble finding a top that’s roomy enough, you may want to head to the men’s department.
Wear it now: Pulled over a pencil skirt and paired with strappy heels. Carry a clutch to round out this power meeting look.
Change it up for spring: Draped over a matching-colored mini, slipper-style loafers and sunnies — the more massive, the better.
10. Grab a bag you can wear any way you please: You can’t possibly get cozy with a bag that forces you to carry it only one way. Enter Minnie + George, the makers behind our latest obsession, the 3 in 1 Drawstring Leather Bag ($225) that lets you carry it over your shoulder, across your body or even as a backpack after a quick strap switch up. Don’t even get us started on how much we <3 that tassel…
Wear it now: Across your blanket coat while you clutch the strap with fingerless gloves, all the better to sort through the bag while you stay warm.
Change it up for spring: As a backpack over a shirtdress paired with over-the-knee boots and your hair effortlessly side swept.
What ways are you looking forward to switching up your wardrobe through the seasons? Tell us about the piece you can’t wait to slip on again in the comments below.
Lizzo Is #BodyGoals Because, Well, She Has A Body