There are almost too many delicious traditions to enjoy during the holidays, but one that we look forward to catching every year is Dungeness crab season. These 16 delicious crab recipes are sure to inspire one to get crackin’ — each is perfect for a cold-weather crustacean celebration. Once summer rolls around, you’ll be all ready to continue the shellfish spree at a fun seafood fest.
1. Crab With Harissa + Lemon-Garlic Butter: Fresh crab hardly needs any adornment at all. But once you learn how to cook, clean and crack it here, a dip of harissa and flavored butter never hurt anything. (via Turntable Kitchen)
5. Crab and Arugula Pizza: You’ll want to light your oven to blistering hot temps year-round to make this homemade pie. Big pieces of Dungeness meat and a homemade, crab-infused olive oil give this pizza a ton of flavor. (via Cascadian Kitchen)
6. Cioppino: Loaded with a huge variety of seafood, this hearty stew is a great way to warm up during chilly winter months (or foggy summer days in The City). Celebrate its San Francisco origins by serving it up with a loaf of crusty sourdough. (via Chez Us)
7. California Roll: Click on over to learn how to make a sushi bar favorite at home. Feel free to skip the eye-catching roe on top, but it does add a little something extra — not unlike our favorite colorful garnish: sprinkles. (via Just One Cookbook)
8. Crab Cakes With Remoulade Sauce: Making crab cakes at home doesn’t have to be a challenge, and these results are quite the reward. No more wondering, “where’s the
beef crab?” (via Foolproof Living)
10. Crab Cakes With Chimichurri Sauce: Add a little life to your next batch of crispy crab cakes with cilantro, parsley and jalapeño. Even traditionalists will be clamoring for more. (via Kitchen Confidante)
11. Spicy California Roll Sushi Nachos: Shake up your next nacho night with a pile of these deconstructed Cali roll chips. A drizzle of Sriracha-spiked sauce is a brilliant stand-in for the requisite salsa. (via I Wash… You Dry…)
12. Dungeness Crab Pasta: Each twirl of this pasta packs in a ton of flavor courtesy of a duo of fried goodies tossed into the mix: Meyer lemon slices and capers. The citrusy and briny notes are beautiful accompaniments to crab. (via Lemons and Anchovies)
15. Crispy Baked Crab Bites: Serve these perfectly poppable bites as an alternative to crab cakes. With no forks or knives required, they make a great addition to your selection of game day or holiday party nibbles. (via Destination Femme)
16. Crab Rangoon Deviled Eggs: Enjoy this delightful fusion of two tasty appetizers: classic deviled eggs and crab rangoon. For the full effect, go ahead and add an extra layer of crunch in the form of a fried dumpling wrapper. (via I Am a Food Blog)
What’s your favorite way to enjoy crab when it’s too cold out to host a seafood boil? Let’s talk all things crustacean in the comments!