19 Make-Ahead Vegetarian Casserole Recipes to Enjoy on Meatless Mondays
For many of us, 2018 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2019! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January and February for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Vegetarian casserole recipes are the one-dish answer to all those #MeatlessMondays when you don’t have enough time to cook after work. That’s right; no more dissatisfied nights spent eating potato chips in bed: Vegetarian casseroles have got your back, and they’re even better when you can prep them the night before. They’re hearty, melt-in-your-mouth good and will earn you brownie points (or yummy broccoli recipe points) with every vegetarian on the block. Here are the recipes you need to rock suppertime any day of the week.
1. Cheesiest Spaghetti Squash Boats: This particular recipe is vegan, but you can always sub in dairy cheese if you prefer. (via Brit + Co)
2. Sweet Potato Gratin: This sweet potato gratin with sage and Gruyère is everything you want. It’s crispy and caramelized on the outside and luscious once you break the surface. Grab a fork and dig in. (via Brit + Co)
3. Healthy Baked Pesto Rigatoni: The very green pesto in this pasta bake gets its color from spinach, kale, and basil. (via Pinch of Yum)
4. Easy Green Bean Casserole: The green bean casserole has been a staple Thanksgiving dish, but it’s tasty year-round. The mushrooms and green beans are coated in an umami-rich sauce that’s topped with crispy fried onions that make it clear why it’s an evergreen staple. (via Damn Delicious)
5. Roasted Garlic Ratatouille: Don’t tell France about this ratatouille. It gets a slight modification from possibly the most American ingredient ever: ranch dressing powder. You can call it sacrilege, but after one bite, you might hear a chorus of angels. (via The Food Charlatan)
6. One-Pan Four Cheese Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Drunken Pasta Bake: This pasta casserole is a cheese lover’s dream. However, the addition of veggies like sun-dried tomatoes and spinach make it adulting at its finest. (via Half Baked Harvest)
7. Healthy Mushroom Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta Bake: Though this casserole has an Alfredo sauce that binds it together, it still manages to hit the spot without weighing you down. The secret is using cauliflower instead of cream. You’ll have no regrets. (via Pinch of Yum)
8. Creamy Caprese Quinoa Bake: Swap pasta for quinoa in this hearty casserole for a healthy, protein-filled twist. It’s loaded with fragrant basil and sweet grape tomatoes, making this one dish you won’t be able to resist. (via Half Baked Harvest)
9. Gruyère White Cheddar and Kale Strata: The cheesy kale casserole can be enjoyed any time of day, even though it’s traditionally intended to be a breakfast casserole. (via The Endless Meal)
10. Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake: Savory mushrooms keep this pasta bake from tasting too dull. The sauce balances out the earthy fungi for a memorable dish. (via Simply Delicious)
11. Black Bean Butternut Enchilada Casserole: Black beans and roasted butternut squash get the enchilada treatment in this casserole. They’re tossed with spices, cheese, enchilada sauce, and tortillas, then baked until the cheese is gooey and melted. (via She Likes Food)
12. Chili Relleno Casserole: An homage to cheesy stuffed fried chiles, this casserole has everything but the breading. Serve it with some tortilla chips if you’re craving a crunch. (via Savory Tooth)
13. Vegan Broccoli and “Cheese” Casserole: Get the homey flavors of broccoli and cheddar in a casserole that’s made with a vegan cheese sauce and topped with crispy chickpeas. (via Fit Foodie Finds)
14. Easy Baked Ziti: Cream cheese takes the place of ricotta to make this baked ziti extra indulgent. (via The Cookie Rookie)
15. Three Sisters Casserole: A blend of squash, beans, and corn (the “three sisters”) is topped with hearty cornbread dumplings that get crunchy on top while remaining soft within to soak up every bit of flavor from the filling below. (via Simply Recipes)
16. Vegetarian Sausage Casserole: Veg-heads who miss the taste of meat will fall head over heels for this casserole. Its savory punch comes from red wine, tomatoes, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar, which create a thick sauce that coats each bite of the meatless sausage. (via The Cook Report)
17. Baked Cauliflower Casserole: As the name implies, this beauty is made with cauliflower instead of pasta. Think of this as an adult version of macaroni and cheese. (via Life Made Sweeter)
18. Dump-and-Bake Wagon Wheel Pasta: A simple, Caprese-style pasta bake is sometimes all you need to please the whole family at dinnertime. (via The Seasoned Mom)
19. Healthy Mexican Casserole With Roasted Corn and Peppers: This nutritious casserole is inspired by a frozen dinner you can find in any grocery store. No offense to that version, but this is way better. (via Pinch of Yum)
Follow us on Pinterest for more vegetarian meal ideas.
Additional reporting by Justina Huddleston