Love at First Tap: 10 Non-Tinder Dating Apps Worth a Try
Who finds the love of their life by locking eyes across a crowded dance floor? No one, that’s who. Maybe we’ve gotten too busy or too picky, but what we do know is that it’s seriously hard to remember the singles scene before OKCupid, Match.com and Tinder. Even the Millionaire Matchmaker, Patti Stanger, who creates meet-cutes for a living, recommends dating apps, and we’ve found some to help you find true love… or even just true like. Baby steps.
1. Glimpse (Free): Are you an Amaro or a Valencia? This iOS app matches you based on your Instagram feed. So if you’re a foodie, you could be matched with someone who’s up for a culinary adventure. Glimpse offers a platform for you to be paired with someone who sees the world like you do.
2. HowAboutWe (Free): Location. Location. Location. HowAboutWe is all about where you’ll go on your date. Post a date idea or browse others’ and pick a date based on shared tastes! They have a version created for couples, too and we tried it out and loved it — so you can continue your love affair with the app long after that first fun date :)
3. Coffee Meets Bagel (Free): This iPhone app sets you up with one free match a day who’s a friend of a Facebook friend. Your match is a “bagel;” you’re the “coffee.” You have a day to respond to your match. We like that the selection pool comes from friends of friends so there’s less of a chance for creepers.
4. Moonit (Free): Do you believe true love is written in the stars? Moonit uses the “most advanced astrology algorithm ever developed” to match you with your ideal sign. After you connect with someone, you get their compatibility results so you can get stats on if it’s meant to be.
5. Siren: Siren hasn’t quite hit the app world yet, but we’re already on the waitlist. You can control your profile visibility, which will leave you feeling less vulnerable, and make a “Siren call” to see who is up for a spontaneous meetup. But the really fun part of this dating app is that you can respond to Questions of the Day and Video Challenges initiated by “Seattle’s movers and shakers.”
6. Flikdate (Free): The speed date just went digital, people. This Android and iOS app is like FaceTime for dating. You get randomly matched with a local single and video chat in real time! If things are going sour, just swipe to the right. No harm, no foul. But if it’s going well, keep chatting or propose a date IRL. Reviews show it’s a little buggy for now, but it may be worth holding out for future updates.
7. Grouper (Free): Three’s company, but two groups of three could be perfect for matchmaking — if there are solid wing women in your friend group. Grouper matches you and two friends with another group of three friends and picks a place for your entourages to meet. It sounds great, but it’s a blind group date, so, well, you know how those go.
8. Plenty of Fish (Free): This app claims it has the largest dating community around, exchanging more than 200 million messages per week, which is “more than all other online dating sites combined.” So probability is on your side. You can review your matches from your iPhone and see who’s viewed your profile to get you one step closer to finding the perfect mate.
9. Let’s Date (Free): This iPhone app is definitely in the same realm as OKCupid. You scroll through profiles and if two people share a match, you can start chatting. If you want, Let’s Date will pick a date for you.
10. Salad Match (Free): We couldn’t resist this one. NYC restaurant Just Salad made an app matches you based on your favorite salad toppings. The only catch? The iPhone app is only active where there are Just Salad joints, New York City and Hong Kong. Marketing ploy? Maybe. Super fun? We think so.
Has an app led to a successful romance for you? Let us know which ones in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.