5 Apps That Help You Cook With What You Have in Your Fridge
In an ideal world, none of your fresh produce and groceries would ever go bad. Instead, you would eat every bite of everything you bought. But in the real world, we all have leftover ingredients that we don’t know what to do with. Every piece of food in your kitchen has some serious potential, and there are apps to help you find it by giving you recipes of things to cook with ingredients that you already have on hand. It’s time to Upgrade Your Life with apps that let you cook with what you’ve got.
1. Epicurious: If you’re already an Epicurious recipe junkie, check out their app. They feature all kinds of fun categories to explore, useful reviews and stats on what percentage of people would make the recipe again. When you find recipes you like, just add them to your shopping list and get your trip to the store done faster and smarter. And yes, they have an Apple Watch app.
2. Whole Foods Market: Even if you’re not a Whole Foods shopper, this app is pretty handy. You can pick from 3,700 recipes with stunning images to boot. And since it’s Whole Foods, you know that all of the recipes are wholesome and healthy. Just check off which items on your grocery list you need to buy and you’re ready to hit the market.
DL It: Free on iOS
3. Allrecipes: Just like the website, the Allrecipes app is full of delicious culinary finds, but what makes the app so unique is a feature called the Dinner Spinner. With the Dinner Spinner, you pick the main ingredient you want to use, the type of dish you’re making (breakfast, dessert, main dish, etc) and how much time you have. They’ll dish up a ton of recipes with videos and a list of ingredients to add right to an in-app shopping list.
4. CookBrite: This app kind of has it all. To plan your weekly meal, you’ll go through a process of deciding different types of meals you’d like to make (comfort food or light, fresh food?), then you fill in what ingredients you already have. With that info, CookBrite will select a whole plethora of recipes for you to choose from. From there, pick your recipes for the week and they’ll compile a shopping list for you. If there’s anything on the list that you already have, just swipe it off. It even saves what you have in your kitchen for a constant grocery inventory.
DL It: Free on Android
5. Supercook: If you’re scrolling the web via desktop or laptop, try Supercook. Check off the ingredients you already have, and they’ll start you off with a lot of recipes, and then ask you if you have more specific ingredients to get you some more options. The suggestions are great because you probably have more ingredients than you thought and there are some great meals in your pantry just waiting to get out.
How do you stock up on groceries? Teach us your ways in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)