12 Things You HAVE to Do Before Disneyland’s Diamond Celebration Ends
September 5 is the day you need to jot down, memorize and plan for. That’s the day when Disneyland’s Diamond Celebration comes to an end (insert tears, lots of tears). The year-long party in honor of Disneyland turning 60 was and still is a blast. But it’s a limited time offer, so if you want to see the sights, taste the foods, buy all the goods and take all the pics that are being offered during this oh-so-special time, then you better get there fast. To assist you in making the most of the Diamond Celebration festivities, we’ve got 12 things you’ve gotta do.
1. See Paint the Night. Over one million, yes ONE MILLION, lights shine brightly on the floats in the stunning Paint the Night parade. Elsa, Anna, Tink and even Sulley and Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc. (among MANY others) make an appearance during this glowing piece of parade magic. (Photos via Sunny Chanel)
2. See Disneyland Forever. The totally spectacular fireworks extravaganza that is Disneyland Forever will, sadly, come to end. The display doesn’t merely happen in the sky; during the show, the buildings along Main Street and Sleeping Beauty’s castle are covered with images and vivid patterns paying tribute to Disney classics from Winnie the Pooh to Finding Nemo. Disneyland Forever will be replaced by Fantasy in the Sky, a version which has been a park staple since 1958, that begins again on September 9.
3. Buy the stuff. There is so, SOOOOOOOO much to buy in the stores of Disneyland in honor of the Diamond Celebration, from commemorative plates, t-shirts, candy, handbags, toys, pillows and REAL diamond jewelry (natch) for the Diamond Celebration. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg — the diamond-shaped iceberg.
4. See World of Color: Celebrate! This is your last chance to see NPH (the fabulous Neil Patrick Harris that is) host World of Color: Celebrate!, a sentimental look back at the life and great works of the one and only Walt Disney (as well as a little Frozen and Star Wars thrown in for good measure). On September 6, the original version of World of Color will return.
5. Get your Diamond Celebration Popcorn Buckets. These popcorn buckets are massively cute, don’t ya think? Yes, of course you do. How could you not love a bright and cheery ode to the classic Mickey balloon!
6. Get the Pennies. If you haven’t already grabbed the smashed penny souvenirs at Disneyland, now’s the time to start. Throughout the park, there are various anniversary penny machines like the Winnie the Pooh one above (that you can visit in Critter Country), where you can start your collection.
7. Eat the Candied Apples. There are candied apples, and then there are works-of-art candied apples. Disneyland is a master at the latter. For the anniversary, they created this totally adorable Minnie Mouse diamond-encrusted treat.
8. Eat the Cupcakes. If you’re not in the mood for a Diamond Celebration candied apple, then maybe a fancy cupcake is more up your taste bud’s alley. Drool.
9. Eat the Chocolate Cake. This. Yes. This. While at the “happiest place on earth,” you must try the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration Chocolate Cake, a layer cake with caramel ganache, chocolate crunchy pearls, fleur de sel, apricot compote, Pabana mousse (banana, passion fruit, mango, lemon) and chocolate truffle mousse that’s topped with chocolate ganache and a sparkly silver chocolate diamond. WHA? Yes, it’s a must. You can get a slice at the Plaza Inn, Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, French Market Restaurant and Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta.
10. Drink a Carthay Diamond Manhattan. Celebrate the Disney milestone with an old-school (and yummy) cocktail like the Carthay Diamond Manhattan at the Carthay Circle lounge. This drinky-drink is made with Bulleit Rye Small Batch American Whiskey, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters and Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries, and served with a big diamond-shaped piece of ice.
11. Take a Photo With the Fancy Mickey and/or Mickey. We are LOVIN’ Minnie and her sparkly red party dress, and Mickey looks as dapper as ever. These fancy duds will be put in the closet after the Diamond Celebration comes to a close (we can’t wait to see what they’ll be wearing at Halloween Time, which starts up on September 9).
12. Take a Special Photo. At both Disneyland and California Adventure, they’ve set up silly photo ops for you to pose in like the “scaling up the fun at the Matterhorn” one above. And really, when will you climb the REAL Matterhorn?
What will you most likely rush to do at Disneyland? Tweet us @BritandCo and let us know!