5 DIY Projects Both You and Your Mom Will Love
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to spoil our moms with a thoughtful gift, a family picnic, or fresh breakfast in bed (preferably when it tastes like dessert, AKA donut waffles). Any one (or all!) of these are sure to make your fave lady feel like the queen that she truly is. And yet another surefire way to make mom smile is with an elusive gift that none of us seems to have enough to give — time. So, prioritize a little QT with mama this year and suggest a DIY project that will add some much-needed nostalgia to the mix. Remember the days of regular mom and daughter crafting? We bet Mom does! Check out these five crafty ideas that you both will love — on Mother’s Day, or any day of the year.
1. Brit + Co DIY Calligraphy Kit ($20): Calligraphy is the perfect way for you to bond with Mom while perfecting hand-lettering techniques you can use for every future wedding invitation, place card, or birthday card. Plus, if you develop your calligraphy skills together (don’t forget that a free class, like Calligraphy 101, is included with the purchase of the kit), you’ll be the perfect team to create special touches on stationery for every upcoming family event!
2. DIY Travel Jewelry Case: You need a cute place to neatly organize all of your accessories before you set out on your summer travels, and Mom may need a place to store those macaroni necklaces you made for her back in preschool (yes, we know she still has them). Team up on this DIY travel jewelry case, and everybody wins! This project requires a bit of sewing and some careful measuring, plus a good eye for fun fabrics — so both you and mama bear will have plenty to contribute to the finished product. (via Brit + Co)
3. DIY Paper Flowers Online Class ($9): Learning to make paper flowers is one of the most versatile crafting skills you can master, since there are seemingly limitless uses for the completed blooms. Paper flowers can be worked into centerpiece bouquets, garlands, flower crowns, and so much more! Suddenly, there will be tulips, daisies, and ranunculi everywhere you turn — and you won’t have to worry about them wilting.
4. DIY Faux Fur Blanket: You and Mom both love cuddling up in a cozy blanket (wait, is that not genetic?), so why not learn to make a fuzzy and eco-friendly throw that you can snuggle up in together? (via Studio DIY)
5. DIY Pop-Up Photo Box: Like most families, we’re betting that yours has lots of old pictures tucked away, waiting to be organized and saved for the next generation. Working with your mom to create one of these beautiful photo boxes is a fun and interactive way to bring some order to your photo collection. A DIY pop-up photo box also makes a great keepsake Mother’s Day gift (from both of you!) for a grandmother, aunt, or another special mama in your life. (via Brit + Co)
What are your favorite DIY projects to do with your mom? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.