Turn Trash into Treasure With 18 Eco-Friendly DIYs
We love reducing, reusing and recycling everything we possibly can, including yoga mats and lunch bags. But when we can take it one step further and create a treasure out of would-be trash, that’s a resounding “Heck yeah.” We’ve put together 18 of our favorite eco-friendly DIYs that are perfect for Earth Day (April 22, folks!), or any day really… because every day is Earth Day, remember?
5. DIY Sachets and Dryer Sheets: Are you hoarding fabric remnants or vintage sheets and pillowcases? Put those pretty prints to work by making reusable fabric dryer sheets that double as sachets. No sewing machine required! (via Hello Natural)
11. Beer Bottle Bud Vases: We know you already recycle your beer bottles (at least we hope you do!), but upcycling them with the help of some paint gives them a permanent new life as a pretty bud vase. (via Brit + Co)
12. T-Shirt Beach Cover-Up: Everyone’s got a section of their closet devoted to old, ill-fitting t-shirts. Add scissors and a few simple stitches, and you’ve got a stylin’ beach cover-up. (via Brit + Co)
16. Color Block Crayon Candles: Broken crayons don’t have to be a sad occasion. Melt ’em down and enjoy Atomic Tangerine and Robin’s Egg Blue in DIY candle form. We’re gonna go ahead and coin the term “crayondles” for this one. (via Brit + Co)
18. DIY Metal Filing Cabinet Planter: Rescue an old filing cabinet from the office reject pile and go to town with some potting soil. (Get even more recycled and DIY planter ideas here.) (via Full Mooning)
What are your favorite recycled crafts? Are you going to be making any fun ones for Earth Day this year? Let us know in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)