DIY Color Block Wine Rack Made From Coffee Cans
We’ve been showing you fun ways to color-block your wardrobe, your decor, and even your desserts all month long. And now we’re taking on your wine rack No, we’re not asking you to arrange by reds, whites, and rosés (though we wouldn’t say no to that, either). Instead we’ve taken some jumbo tin cans—the kind used for coffee grounds or crushed tomatoes—and turned them into this color-blocked wine rack. You’ll be shocked at just how easy it is to make.
– 4–12 large coffee or tomato cans (depending on the size of rack you want to make)
– can opener
– 1 can white spray paint
– 3–4 cans brightly colored spray paint
– E6000 Glue
– cardboard or a drop cloth
– gloves (optional)
1. Remove the labels and make sure the cans are completely clean and dry.
2. With a can opener remove the bottom of each can so they are open on both ends. (If there are any rough edges, file them down to protect your fingers.
3. Spray the insides of each can in a bright color. We chose to go with a range of blues and purples. Be sure to spray from both ends.
4. Once the insides are dry, spray the outsides of the cans white. We found that this took two coats to be fully covered.
5. After the cans are completely dry arrange them into groupings by horizontal row. Glue the cans together in a row, and secure with binder clips or clothespins while they dry. Repeat with the additional rows
6. Once the glue has dried, glue each row together and secure with binder clips. Allow this round of glue to dry fully before using.
These labels (thankfully!) were easy to remove since they were only glued in one stripe.
Remove the bottom of the can, and the inner ring around the top if your can has one. This will allow you to slide the bottles in evenly and make sure everything is balanced.
We chose to do a blue and purple color palette, and since we had four shades we did three cans in each color. Because the interiors are ridged, spray first from one end, then flip the can over and spray again from the other side.
We found that it took two coats to cover the cans evenly. Just allow enough drying time between coats. Once again, it helps to flip the can over halfway through.
We grouped our four colors into rows of three making sure not to repeat a color combination twice.
Glue your rows together and give the glue time to dry. Securing the cans with binder clips or clothespins will make sure nothing shifts.
Finally, start gluing your rows together. You’ll need to stack the cans and mark where to put the glue.
Now all that’s left is to add some wine!
Done! Now who’s ready to toast?
What’s your favorite color-block DIY project? Tell us in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)