Easy Fritter Recipes to Make With Summer Produce
For the same reason we love doughnuts (fried cake? Count us in!), fritters are our favorite way to enjoy summer produce. Hey, if a doughnut can count as breakfast, then a crispy fried fritter filled with fruit or vegetables can count as a healthy snack. You may have had them before without even realizing it — think falafel and latkes, which get golden and crunchy around the edges in a way that makes eating beans and veggies a pleasure. Luckily, you can make a fritter with just about anything you have on hand, from the classic corn variety to more daring takes stuffed with kohlrabi or rhubarb. These 15 recipes will make using up the bounty in your garden the tastiest adventure of the summer.
1. Beet and Cumin Fritters: These fuscia beet patties, drizzled with a beautifully contrasting yogurt sauce, are as delicious as they are eye-catching. Best of all, they’re a meal in themselves, full of nutritious edamame, tofu, potatoes, and herbs. (via Blissful Basil)
2. Prosciutto and Corn Fritters: Corn fritters are a great breakfast, but add in some prosciutto and suddenly, you’ve got dinner. It adds a salty, savory flair that strikes a pleasing balance with the sweet summer corn. (via The Charming Detroiter)
3. Baked Green Pea Fritters: Even in the oven, these green pea patties get crispy and golden brown. Add them to wraps, dip them in yogurt, or sneak them cold out of the fridge as a midnight snack. (via Wallflower Kitchen)
4. Spiced Parsnip Fritters: If ever there’s a veggie you don’t know how to use, chances are frying it up in a nice eggy batter will do the trick. Here, parsnips get frazzled and crisp in the skillet, then dunked in a cilantro and yogurt sauce. (via The Last Food Blog)
5. Bourbon Glazed Peach Fritters: Fragrant, juicy peaches should be included in all summer desserts. Paired with fried dough and a sticky-sweet bourbon glaze, they’re like the best possible iteration of the food at the county fair. (via Half Baked Harvest)
6. Baked Cauliflower Fritters: Cauliflower is the vegetable of the moment, and when it’s made into these baked fritters, it’s easy to see (or taste) why. Garlic, herbs, and Parmesan cheese add the flavor, while mild cauliflower keeps things moist-yet-crunchy. (via The Petite Cook)
7. Leek and Kohlrabi Fritters: If ever there were a recipe to convince you to buy kohlrabi and leeks in the same week, it’s this. Held together by a chickpea flour batter, these skillet cakes are dunked in a zippy sumac yogurt sauce after they’re done cooking. (via Healthy Nibbles and Bits)
8. Fluffy Carrot Broccoli Fritters: Breathe some life into your weekday staples of broccoli and carrots by transforming them into fluffy fritters. Eat them on their own, or stuff them into pita pockets or burger buns for easy noshing. (via Happy Foods)
9. Spicy Corn Fritters With Chipotle Dip: Spicy jalapeño and fresh (or frozen) corn come together to make these crispy patties. Dairy-free veggie cream cheese makes for an easy dipping sauce. (via Healthy Delicious)
10. Brussels Sprouts Fritters: The secret to these Brussels sprouts masterpieces? Massage the sprouts before cooking them, so they get nice and tender in a shorter amount of time, avoiding the cabbage-y flavor everyone dreads when it comes to Brussels. (via The Fitchen)
11. Blueberry Fritters: For dessert or breakfast, the fresh pop of fruit flavor from blueberries is always welcome. With a golden brown exterior, soft interior, and juicy bits of berry throughout, these fritters are hard to pass up any time of day. (via The Beach House Kitchen)
12. Carrot Fritters With Whipped Ricotta: These delicate fried carrot cakes are surprisingly sweet. Whipped ricotta and a lemon-dressed, peppery watercress salad keep the flavors in balance. (via A Salad for All Seasons)
14. Rhubarb Fritters: The key to taming the tart rhubarb in this recipe is in the sweetened, enriched dough that’s spiced with grains of paradise, adding complexity that can stand up to the filling. (via Baking Sense)
For more fun ways to use up what’s in the produce drawer, follow us on Pinterest.