30-Minute DIY: How to Custom Etch Glass Jars
We’ve been seriously swooning over what we’re calling “Adult Etch-a-Sketch” ever since we experimented with
this past summer. For this project, we’ll show you how to make custom one-of-a-kind jars that make perfect holiday gifts for friends, family, and pets! We teamed up with
to create a series of jars for the dogs and cats of Brit + Co. WOOF! MEOW! And, of course, NOM! NOM! NOM! Watch the video above to see how it’s done.
And in case you have any questions after watching the video above, here’s a materials list and step-by-step instructions for how to make your own set of custom jars.
– glass jars
– Armour Etch glass etching cream
– plastic or vinyl adhesive letters
– electrical tape
– paint brush
1. Wash and dry your glass bottles to start out with a clean surface
2. Apply your word or phrase in vinyl letters on the glass. Press firmly on the letters to make sure they’re really stuck on there.
3. Tape off a box around the word with electrical tape.
4. Apply a heavy layer of etching cream. Try to get it as even as possible, and dab — don’t brush — it on. The thicker the better.
5. Let the etching cream sit for 20 minutes.
6. Rinse off with water.
7. Remove tape and letters and wipe with a damp paper towel to remove any excess etching cream.
8. Fill with treats and gift to your pets or pet owners in your family!
And now, let us take a moment to ‘gram it up! Props to all the awesome pups showing up on PetSmart Charities #petshappyhome Instagram hashtag. It was tough for us to pick a favorite, but we can’t resist a dog whose owner loves to DIY. This photo from @lifewithtucker features her adorable pooch as well as handmade stockings in the background that @lifewithtucker made for her pets. How awesome is that?!
What pet-inspired gifts might you make this December? Talk to us in the comments below.
Hi, I'm Brit, the founder and CEO of Brit + Co. I'm a young mom of two, tech nerd and design-inclined lady who has a zillion hobbies and curious about... just about everything! My mission from the beginning has been to unlock women's creativity and courage to try new things so that they can find the path to their true passions.