We’ve been seriously swooning over what we’re calling “Adult Etch-a-Sketch” ever since we experimented with
this past summer. For this project, we’ll show you how to make custom one-of-a-kind jars that make perfect holiday gifts for friends, family, and pets! We teamed up with
to create a series of jars for the dogs and cats of Brit + Co. WOOF! MEOW! And, of course, NOM! NOM! NOM! Watch the video above to see how it’s done.
And in case you have any questions after watching the video above, here’s a materials list and step-by-step instructions for how to make your own set of custom jars.
– glass jars
– Armour Etch glass etching cream
– plastic or vinyl adhesive letters
– electrical tape
– paint brush
1. Wash and dry your glass bottles to start out with a clean surface
2. Apply your word or phrase in vinyl letters on the glass. Press firmly on the letters to make sure they’re really stuck on there.
3. Tape off a box around the word with electrical tape.
4. Apply a heavy layer of etching cream. Try to get it as even as possible, and dab — don’t brush — it on. The thicker the better.
5. Let the etching cream sit for 20 minutes.
6. Rinse off with water.
7. Remove tape and letters and wipe with a damp paper towel to remove any excess etching cream.
8. Fill with treats and gift to your pets or pet owners in your family!
And now, let us take a moment to ‘gram it up! Props to all the awesome pups showing up on PetSmart Charities #petshappyhome Instagram hashtag. It was tough for us to pick a favorite, but we can’t resist a dog whose owner loves to DIY. This photo from @lifewithtucker features her adorable pooch as well as handmade stockings in the background that @lifewithtucker made for her pets. How awesome is that?!
What pet-inspired gifts might you make this December? Talk to us in the comments below.
This post is a collaboration with PetSmart Charities.