No matter how swiftly you sort your outfits for your biggest fall occasions, there’s always going to be a speed bump when it comes to picking the perfect makeup to match. The checklist for choosing the right seasonal lip shade and a partner-in-crime nail color is always too tedious — Does it go with my skin tone? Do they match my outfit? Do the colors even go together? — and before you know it, you’re back to your go-to gloss and clear coat. But the cycle can be broken in just one easy bookmark of this very post, where we’re breaking down fall’s trendiest lip colors and the must-try lacquers to wear with them.
We make it really easy: you pick the occasion, and we’ll give you three lip-nail color combos to try. As always with autumn, expect things to get just a bit more dramatic, but not a touch less romantic with a palette that spans the spectrum from the punchiest pinks and dusty pastels to rich reds and bold blues. Ready to give it a go? Scroll through to find your perfect pairings.
Autumn Outings for Two
Whether you’re going apple picking, mulling wine or taking a stroll through freshly fallen leaves, keep your makeup as sweet as your S.O. with punchy pink lips and playful polish shades.
1. Bright Pink Lips + Holographic Glitter Nails: You only need a bead of this Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar in Queen ($18) to get an insanely vibrant pink lip. Don’t dial it down with your polish — apply an out-of-this-world glitter lacquer like Julep Color Treat in Yumi ($14) that has flaeks of pink, silver and holographic sparkle.
2. Metallic Ginger Lips + Silvery Gray Nails: This L’Oréal Colour Riche Glossy Balm in Ginger Candy ($8) gives your pout a highly pigmented shine for a seriously kissable finish. Match the frosty sheen of the lip crayon with a metallic-tinged gray polish like Revlon’s Core Nail Enamel in Timeless ($4) — one of my personal favorite drugstore buys.
3. Juicy Coral Lips + Cobalt Blue Nails: Infused with shea, cocoa and mango seed butters, this All Butter Now Lip Treat by mark. in Coraltini ($12) not only increases your lip moisture by 124% (!!!) but it also delivers a smooth medium color, which means minimal upkeep. Compliment your coral pucker with cobalt digits using UO’s Classics Collection Nail Polish in Blue Velvet ($5).
Fit for a #GirlBoss
When you’re headed into your dream job interview or prepping to lean in at the next all-hands, be sure you ace your beauty look with lips and nails that make a strong and stylish statement.
4. Berry-Stained Lips + Icy Mint Nails: Add a pop of pinky pigment to your lips in just one swipe with Sephora’s Cream Lip Stain in Strawberry Kissed ($13) and pair with a light yet striking polish like Glowstar ($8), a ghostly shade of mint by Floss Gloss.
5. Bright Orange Lip + Lavender Nails: If you’re looking to make a major impact with your lip color, NARS’ Audacious Lipstick in Geraldine ($32) is the eye-popping hue to try. Keep your polish subtle but not a bit less sensational with American Apparel’s Nail Polish in dreamy L Esprit ($7).
6. Radiant Mauve + Shimmering Emerald: Boost your natural lip color with a lustrous mauve like Burberry Lip Color in No. 18 Ruby ($33) and let your fingers get down with the drama coated in the glittering British Racing Green ($15) Nail Lacquer from Butter London.
Fresh-Faced Wedding Guest
You’ve spent weeks picking out the perfect dress and dancing shoes, now complete your formal look with barely-there lipsticks and festive lacquers that add instant polish.
7. Dewy Rose Lips + Dark Liberty Blue Nails: This wet-look lip color by Lipstick Queen in Silver Screen ($50) promises to give your complexion an extra satin-y glow that’s balanced beautifully by the dusty dark e.l.f. Essential Nail Polish in High Tide ($2)
8. Satin Nude Lips + Soft Pink Nails: Clinique’s Long Last Soft Matte Lipstick in Matte Suede ($16) might be your best bet at rocking the nude lip trend this fall. Its long-wear formula and velvety finish help keep the look modern and extremely elegant — doubly so when paired with a crisp pink polish like Deborah Lippmann’s Nail Lacquer Créme in Before He Cheats ($18).
9. Porcelain Peach + Chunky Gold and Pink Glitter Nails: Swipe on this so-shiny Color Burst Lipgloss by Revlon in Bellini ($9) for a pretty peach-y lip look that’s as divine as Ciaté’s Mini Paint Pot Nail Polish in Beam Me Up Lottie ($8). If you ask us, *this* is a match made in heaven.
For Haunted Nights Out
Dreaming up devilish makeup ideas for fall? Channel the glitz of the season with dramatic lip colors and sinful lacquers that take your going out looks to the next level.
10. Plum Puree Lips + Sky Blue Nails: Creamy and coppery, this Tom Ford Lip Color in Bruised Plum ($50) might be your best dark lips splurge of the season. To keep the look from feeling in any way goth, pair the serious shade with a polish that is its complete opposite, like the cloudless sky blue of Essie’s Find Me An Oasis ($9) Nail Color.
11. Frosted Cocoa Lips + Black Red Nails: Chocloate-y lips have officially made a comeback. Give it a go 2014-style with the subtle shine of MAC’s Viva Glam Rihanna Lipstick in 2 ($16) because if it’s good enough for Rihanna, it’s good enough for us! Complement the color with the just-as-glamorous JINsoon Nail Lacquer in Black Red ($18).
12. Merlot Lips + Indigo Nails: Nail the vampy lip look with the deep wine tone and matte finish of Bite’s Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream in Port ($28). Stay on the dark side with your nails with RBG’s insanely posh opaque Nail Color in Plum ($18).
Which fall color combos are you adding to your makeup kit? What’s your favorite pair to rock — and where to? Tell us about your fall beauty routines in the comments below.