Pretty in Plaid: 24 Chic Ways to Wear Plaid
When you think of fall, what patterns come to mind? We’re guessing fruit and floral weren’t your first choices. But plaid? Oh, yeah. It’s basically asking to be bundled up in with a warm cup of hot cocoa. Sometimes plaid is hard to pull off without looking like a lumberjack, though. So we’re going beyond the button down with this checked set: here are 24 chic ways to wear plaid.
1. ASOS Skater Skirt ($48): A green and black tartan is a fall classic. Transition this look to autumn with tights and knee-high boots for the ultimate cold-weather wear.
2. Forever 21 Plaid Top ($15): Boxy tees are simple go-tos that everyone should have in their wardrobes for those days when you just don’t know what to wear. The teal and blue plaid makes this toss-on piece extra special.
3. Eloquii Plaid Sheath Dress ($110): THIS is how you put a modern spin on plaid! We love the look of the leather sleeves combined with this intricate pattern.
4. BB Dakota Embeth Sweater ($121): This simple sweater mixes some of our faves: B+W, a chunky knit and plaid. Oh, we’re so in.
6. Missguided Lakela Mini Skirt ($19): Gingham is a classic plaid that everyone can rock. Take this light look from summer to fall with a chunky knit and your favorite booties.
8. Avenue Hatchi Tunic ($34): You’ve probably been collecting sweaters and jumpers your whole life, but why not top off your collection with this green number? The asymmetric hem and ruched sleeves will make it stand out from the pack.
10. Missguided Talia Checkered Romper ($19): Okay, we’ll admit this romper isn’t the MOST fall-appropriate look, but not everyone has a cool autumn… right?! Or pair it with knee socks and you’re good to go in chillier weather.
11. Eloquii Studio Tartan Plaid Coat ($198): The moto-style zip + leather detailing on this wrap coat make for one edgy look we can’t resist… especially with that glamour scarf.
13. Rails Ashton Plaid Button Down ($119): You can’t go wrong with a classic checkered button down, especially when it’s cut to fit your figure and distressed to perfection. Spice things up a bit with an unexpected color combo like this coral and blue.
14. Caslon Plaid Tee ($47): Like we said, we’re sporting boxy tees on the reg these days. Did we mention they’re the easiest piece to wear? Like, ever.
17. Nasty Gal Fleece Sweatshirt ($58): We can’t decide what we like better, pumpkin pie or the pumpkin colored print on this popover. We’ll take both (+ extra whipped cream on the pie!).
18. Anthropologie Draped Top ($88): This understated color combo is perfect for days when you don’t feel like rockin’ the red and black classic. Pair with a fun #armparty and leather belt to get the look.
20. Rag & Bone Buffalo Check Scarf ($175): Who doesn’t love a scarf to cozy up in during the cooler months? It doesn’t get any better than this B+W one.
22. O’2nd Vesna Check Blouse ($295): Being comfortable is key for those brisk days in October. That’s why you need this printed number to bundle up in.
23. Bobeau Plaid + Zip Sweatshirt ($30): Plaid has gone pastel, and we’re so in love. Don’t think we forgot about that rad side zip too. #waycool
24. Gap Smock Shirtdress ($70): Smock dresses are a lazy day dream come true, especially in this deep palette-plaid. Bonus: when you’re rocking this roomy number, you don’t have to worry about those pants getting too snug on Turkey Day ;)
What’s your favorite plaid piece? Let us know in the comments below!