12 Fierce Female Fashion Illustrators You Need to Follow
While the glitz and glam of the fashion world are usually limited to the designers, celebrities and models who strut in fashion weeks around the world, illustrators are making their way into the spotlight. These talented ladies share their creative prowess on social media for their admirers to enjoy, and are garnering impressive followings as a result. Find inspiration in the unique sketches, thriving colors and detailed doodles of these 12 incredible fashion illustrators.
1. Garance Doré: No fashion illustration list should ever start without the one and only. Hailing from Corsica, France, Doré’s beautiful work has been featured in GQ, Vogue, French Elle, and Harper’s Bazaar. She arguably paved the way for all fashion illustrators and bloggers to make their way online, and has one of the most popular blogs on the Internet. She also has launched a YouTube series, is a regular columnist for VogueParis and has her own collection of stationery and greeting cards — talk about #girlboss material!
2. Nicholle Kobi: Also known as Niki’s Groove, this Parisian illustrator dreams of owning her own studio to promote black artists and female art. She works in both traditional and digital mediums and is unafraid of taking risks. Her artwork is fun, a little outrageous, colorful and filled with afros.
3. Lena Ker: Lena Ker began her career in fashion as a stylist, but then she discovered her passion for drawing. With nothing more than a few strokes of a ball-point pen, she creates sophisticated high-fashion models out of thin air. Suave and domineering, these ladies jump out at you from the pages of publications like Vogue Russia and GQ.
4. Markers and Microns: With a catchy blog name and even catchier illustration style, Walton uses line in a bold and eclectic way. Strong, vibrant and boundary-defying, her sketches stand out from the crowd by using markers in defining slashes of color, giving her models an edge and uniqueness that you’ll love.
5. Sarah Hankinson: With A-player clients including Harper’s Bazaar and Maybelline, Sarah Hankinson is an illustrator to be reckoned with. Her delicate and intricate line work paired with soft splashes of color perfectly captures the pulse of modern style.
6. When I’m an Old Man: Don’t be fooled by this blog name — Michelle Yu is not actually an old man. She’s an illustrator, travel and fashion writer and just an “old man” at heart. Yu is both entertaining in her writing and a beautiful creator of everything from portraits to high-fashion magazine covers.
7. Lovisa Oliv: After studying fashion design and illustration in the likes of Florence, Italy and New York City, Oliv is masterful with her watercolors. This illustrator perfectly expresses the beauty, grace and ethereal nature of fashion through vibrant paints. Her chic silhouettes exude style and confidence.
8. Fifi Lapin: This furry fashion icon is a spoiled-rotten rabbit and in-demand blogger who knows her couture from her carrots. With thousands of fans, style tips and interviews with top designers like Anna Sui and Paul Smith, no-bunny can deny her popularity.
9. Samantha Hahn: Hahn clearly stands out from the crowd. An international illustrator extraordinaire, she has exhibited her eye-catching pieces everywhere from New York to Hong Kong. Her clients list includes Marc Jacobs, MAC, Victoria’s Secret and more.
10. Ennji Lw: Steering away from traditional illustration mediums, Ennji prefers working in the digital world. She uses striking colors and abstract splashes of “paint” to portray a vibrant sense of movement in her pieces. The dynamic layers contrast beautifully with the clean-cut lines of her models.
11. Jessica Durrant: You’ve likely already seen Jessica’s work, as she has collaborations with Target, QVC.com and Glamour.com. Her watercolor paintings are elegant and whimsical, framed by bold lines and shocks of color that draw your eyes to the fashionable pieces her models wear.
12. Birdy and Me: Kelly Smith is a talented Australian illustrator who has worked with the likes of Valentino, Armani, H&M, Net-A-Porter and Vogue. Taking inspiration from fashion, film and fairytales, Smith’s work captures her subjects with textured strokes of her pencil, adding fantastic bursts of colorful ink and digital elements for a subtle contrast.
Which illustrators are your favorites? Let us know in the comments below, or by tweeting us at @britandco.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.