12 Must-Try Style Trends from NYFW You’ll Want to Wear Now
Sure, maybe we haven’t even really started wearing spring’s trends yet, but fashion waits for no woman. We know it can be tough to keep track of what season starts when and which trends go with what season, so we’re laying it out for you. This fall, you’re going to see a lot of spring’s trends getting recycled, only with ever-so-subtle changes in color, texture and mood. The retro vibe of past seasons is still going strong, with menswear-inspired looks following suit (see what we did there?). Wanna know what else is in store? We’re sharing 12 must-try runway trends for this fall.
1. Statement Sweaters: Sweaters, especially oversized ones, blew up last fall and this spring, with almost every collection featuring a few of the cold weather staples. For fall 2015, sweaters feel more safe than groundbreaking, with a few tweaks. Designers like Nicholas K and Adam Lippes looked to statement-making embellishments like shaggy fringe and furry shoulder pads to make them stand out. (photo via Courtesy Adam Lippes)
2. Turtlenecks: Frilly ruffled necklines, understated mock necks and sexy sheer illusion tops go full throttle for fall, getting reworked into cold weather-worthy turtlenecks. From oversized to cable knit and everything in between, this age-old style was a runway favorite with J.Crew, DKNY, Opening Ceremony and Misha Nonoo. The key to rocking this look come fall? Try layering it under a shift dress — we love that hot pink! (photo via Jemal Countess/Getty)
3. Lace-Up Knee-High Boots: Gladiator sandals seem to reinvent themselves every year for the spring season, which just goes to show: If it works, why mess with it? For fall, knee-high lace-up boots fill in where the gladiators leave off. They have a more Victorian feel than their sandal counterparts with pointed toes and high heels, but offer an interesting, cool-weather alternative to the stylish summer stepper. (photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
4. Retro Shades With Contemporary Flair: Fashion is having a major déjà vu moment right now, and it isn’t just the clothes. Accessories are on a retro kick too. Groovy round shades may be a fave for spring, but come fall, mod styles with a contemporary twist like those seen at Karen Walker are slated to become the sunglasses of choice. (photo via Albert Urso/Getty)
5. Eccentric Fur Toppers: Ever since Pharrell donned that outrageous vintage Vivienne Westwood hat last year at the Grammys, the fashion world has gone a little hat crazy. Similar styles (and even wackier ones) were popping up everywhere, and the trend continues with fall, introducing us to a slew of fur toppers that lumberjacks, sherpas and even Vikings would love. This eccentric chapeau by Anna Sui, with its oversized tassels and pouf, takes the cake. (photo via Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
6. Fur: Designers and street style stars have fallen hard for shearling and mohair over the last couple seasons, but this fall, they’ve shifted gears, leaving behind the edgy leather and shearling jackets for something with a little more pizazz. Enter fur. From Altuzarra’s pink confenction of a coat to countless stoles, hats and muffs (plus one crazy awesome Rodarte bomber jacket with a furry collar), fur, both faux and real, was everywhere. (photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
7. Folklore: Fashion’s love affair with the ’60s and ’70s went bohemian for spring, with designers churning out airy floral dresses, fringe-flecked everything and feathery, layered necklaces. Boho gets reworked for a more folksy feel for fall. Folk-art prints adorned fit-and-flare dresses at Honor, while we spotted pieced-together leather looks at BCBG. Nicole Miller also revealed a mythical illustration-inspired collection. (photo via JP Yim/Getty)
8. Long Layers: Crop tops are spring essentials, but we found fall runways to be the opposite, with long layers (think midi skirt + extra long sweater + coat) dominating the runway at DKNY, Creatures of Comfort and Edun. (photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
9. Fall Florals: Crazy bright blooms and psychedelic flora gets turned down a notch for fall. Autumn’s floral prints are more muted (Suno) or set against dark backdrops (Adam Lippes) to highlight the shift in season. (photo via Courtesy of Adam Lippes)
10. Disco Diva: Tailored separates, toned-down bell-bottoms and other more sophisticated ’70s styles were the direction designers took for spring. But fall sees a bit more Studio 54 than in seasons past, and that means glittering getups with plunging necklines and Rodarte’s leather hot pants giving us a bit of disco fever. (photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
11. Contemporary Masculine Suits: Impeccably tailored suits with an undeniably retro vibe were the sophisticated silhouette of choice for spring. This fall, the suit will take a step away from the ’70s and reemerge as an extension of the menswear-inspired trend, with a more masculine fit and contemporary details, as seen at Yigal Azrouel. Of course, a few flashback styles remain, like Michael Kors’ relaxed gray tweed suit and Diane von Furstenberg’s ’90s-inspired power suit. (photo via Jemal Countess/Getty)
12. Plaid: Playful, girly gingham gets a rugged upgrade for fall, ditching the pastel hues for autumn-appropriate shades and bigger, bolder patterns. Alexander Wang broke up his all-black collection with a jacket or two in the classic pattern, while Kate Spade played with different styles and colors that ranged from the lumberjack to preppy navy and cream-colored prints. (photo via Cindy Ord/Getty)
What trends are you feelin’ for fall? Tell us in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.