Plan a wedding? Check. Get married? Check. Now it’s time to put that honeymoon fund to good use! If your love of food is what brought you two together, then heading to a city with some serious culinary chops is a MUST. Plus, now that you’ve already worn your amazing wedding dress (or jumpsuit!), there’s nothing holding you back from eating and drinking your way through the first weeks of marriage. These 10 cities are prime locations — feast on, you lovebirds.
1. Mexico City, Mexico: From first-rate street tacos to fine dining, eating out in Mexico City just keeps getting better and better. Make sure to fill up on the tortas and tlacoyos, too. And don’t forget to try the mezcal!
2. New York, New York: The city that never sleeps means a TON of options whenever you guys are hungry. Every type of world cuisine is represented, and there’s no shortage of both amazing hole-in-the-wall dives and luxe dining. Plus, think of all the NYC staples you can share like bagels, pizza, pastrami on rye, cheesecake … (Okay, maybe you can each get your own.)
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Is there anything more romantic than splitting a cheesesteak (wit wiz!)? Okay, maybe it’s not the first thing that comes to mind, but cheesesteaks aren’t the only cuisine that has foodies flocking to Philly. With new restaurants opening every week, you won’t be able to keep up. The City of Brotherly Love is also known for its BYOB spots. So grab a bottle and celebrate your newlywed status!
4. Barcelona, Spain: Tapas are always a good idea. Head to the Catalonian city for all sorts of local must-eat foods to delve into like paella and bombas. Plus, it’s the perfect place for glamour, culture, and honeymoon romance. And there will never be a shortage of vino with all the wine bars close by.
5. New Orleans, Louisiana: There’s nothing like the Creole and Cajun cuisine of New Orleans to keep your happiness high going post-wedding. With everything from gumbo, jambalaya, and po’ boys to bananas Foster and beignets, it’s the perfect honeymoon destination for an adventurous couple who love soul food and live music.
6. Portland, Oregon: Known for its extensive array of amazing food trucks, this city is the perfect place to spend a few days trying a little bit of everything. With more than 500 food truck options available, you’ll never be at a loss. And the city’s restaurant scene is second to none.
7. Paris, France: Eating croissants every morning doesn’t sound like a terrible way to start a marriage, right? With all of the macarons, pastries, creme brûlée, and crêpes, it’s like dessert heaven for couples with a serious sweet tooth.
8. Amsterdam, Netherlands: The open-air Foodhallen is home to more than 20 restaurants, including De BallenBar, where Michelin-starred chef Peter Gast whips up bitterballen, Amsterdam’s famous snack. They also have a gin-and-tonic bar — just sayin’.
9. Naples, Italy: If you can live off pizza and pasta, then there really is no other honeymoon destination better than Italy. Schedule a romantic date that starts with strolling the local markets for fresh ingredients and ends with eating homemade Neapolitan pizza.
10. Lisbon, Portugal: Taking advantage of the miles and miles of coastline, Portugal is known for fresh seafood. Since the Portuguese cuisine is so deeply rooted in the freshest local ingredients, you’ll sample unique items you can’t find anywhere else. Spend your honeymoon soaking up the tasty traditions and making lifelong memories.
Looking for more honeymoon inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more scoop!
(Photos via Getty)