In case you don’t already know, a full English breakfast is a beast. The classic British meal includes baked beans, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes, eggs, and sometimes bread or ham. It’s a lot! And unless it’s the weekend, or you have the day off, it’s not realistic for someone with a busy schedule. If you still crave each component but don’t have the time, here’s a way to make it accessible for people. Turn it into a breakfast burrito ! A full English breakfast has all the makings of one already — eggs, potatoes, beans, and meat, for starters. It’s also conducive to meal prep. Make a bunch at once, wrap them up nice and tight, and stick them in the freezer to reheat and enjoy at a later date.
There are a lot of steps that go into making these burritos, so set aside a Sunday and bang out a bunch. This recipe serves two, but you can easily multiply the ingredients to make more. Pop them in the microwave for a couple of minutes when you’re ready to eat.
Full English Breakfast Burrito
- 1 russet potato, scrubbed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- 2 breakfast sausages, cooked
- 1/4 cup baked beans from a can, heated and divided
- Over high heat, bring a salted pot of water to a boil. Add potato and let cook until fork tender but not fully done, about 2 minutes. Strain and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and let cook until completely brown, about 10 minutes. (Turn potatoes periodically so they brown evenly on all sides.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and stir to coat. Space the mushrooms so they aren’t overlapping and let cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add cherry tomatoes face down. Let cook until they’re slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add vegetable oil to the same skillet and over medium-high heat, and fry eggs until well done, 2 to 3 minutes. (The yolks shouldn’t be runny.) Transfer to a plate.
- On a tortilla, layer half of potato, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bacon, sausage, fried eggs, and baked beans in the center towards the side closest to you. Fold the outer edges of the tortilla in and slowly roll it up so that all the fillings are well contained. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a small skillet over medium and add burritos fold-side down. Let cook until slightly brown and tortillas are sealed. Transfer to a plate, slice in half, and enjoy.
Show us your breakfast burritos by tagging your photos with @BritandCo .
(Recipe and photos via Audrey Bruno / Brit + Co)