Oil production is the necessary evil of shiny, silky hair: Of course, we need it to keep our hair conditioned, but when it goes into overdrive and produces too much, well, that’s super annoying. Fine hair falls flat, hair follicles get clogged and those oil slicks look way too greasy to even resemble a subtle shine. But you can turn it around, and emerge with gorgeous hair that’s not the least bit slick. Here we’ve found the latest shampoos, tools and products specifically designed to stop grease and even prevent it from happening. Scroll down to find out how to soak up the extra slick, once and for all.
1. Girl + Hair Under Hair Care Clarifying ACV Rinse ($17): Oily hair types need a scalp refresh every now and then, and this clarifying rinse is made with apple cider vinegar, known to help balance out skin’s pH level. Nourishing oils like tea tree and vitamin E strengthen weak follicles and condition an overactive scalp; use it once a week to remove product and sebum buildup.
2. Klorane Shampoo With Nettle ($15): An oil-control shampoo is just the thing you need when your hair is feeling extra slick. This natural one boasts nettle root, known for having compounds in it that stop extra sebum production. Use it regularly to sop up the spots and eventually, you’ll eek out more days in between washes.
3. Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Dry Shampoo With Citrus Extract ($3): Oily strands making you flat? A dry shampoo is a must-have for giving volume back to weighed-down, greasy hair. One spritz of this silicone-free one, loaded with extracts of orange peel and rosemary, leaves hair looking plumped up, without that gritty, textured feeling.
4. Hair Chemist Charcoal Detoxifying Conditioner With Citrus Oil ($9): While the idea of conditioning greasy hair may seem absurd — why add moisture when you’ve got enough — this light conditioner proves that theory wrong. It boasts charcoal, a powerful ingredient known for absorbing oils and impurities, and is specifically made for oily types. Lather up to wash away grease and grime, and keep hair looking soft, smooth and fresh.
5. Vitagoods Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush ($20): An oily scalp needs a good massage to exfoliate and clear up any clogged follicles (which can eventually lead to thinning hair). This rubber-tipped, automatic massaging tool is way better than your fingers: The whirly motions give you an ultra-relaxing head massage, exfoliate better and deeper and reboot a sleepy mood faster than a Starbucks latte.
6. Christophe Robin Boar Bristle Detangling Hairbrush ($97): Brushing gets oil off your roots and scalp, where it can clog pores and make hair fall flat. A few strokes a day with a natural bristle brush coats strands with the natural sebum and moisturizes the shaft. This brush was made in the traditional French method, using only wood and 100 percent boar bristles, a fave of hair pros because they are less damaging than synthetic bristles and work through tangles more easily.
7. Living Proof Style Lab Prime Style Extender Spray ($20): Think of this genius styling product as your ultimate oil prevention: Spritz it on damp hair before you dry it and you’ll gain a few more days before your next shampoo. The lightweight base creates an invisible shield on your tresses, repelling dirt and oil, while hair still looks smooth and untouched, even during a trip to the gym.
8. Nature’s Gate Professional Calming Shampoo ($10): A daily shampoo keeps oil away, but the one you’re using might not be doing enough. Swap out your usual with one that has tea tree oil, a known antibacterial ingredient that balances sebum production. This one also has soap bark and balm mint extracts, which leave hair feeling crisp and clean.
Looking for more hair help? Check out our Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.