10 Essentials You Need to Own to Achieve HBIC Status
Being a Head Boss in Charge isn’t easy: You’ve got places to go, people to see, and ceilings to bust through. Every. Single. Day. And while 95 percent of HBIC-ness is confidence, looking the part definitely helps. Here are 10 things that will inspire you to keep on crushing your goals and elevate you to true HBIC status.
1. A Power Bag: Sure, you can carry that backpack you’ve owned since college… or you can rock a bag that says, “I’ve come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I’m all out of bubblegum.” The Danse Lente white leather tote ($495) can help you do just that; it’s an on-trend blend of fashion and function, ready to tackle the day by your side. Inspired by art and architecture, the clean lines and unique accents will match any outfit, and the bag is roomy enough for all your essentials. Use it with the two top blue handles as a tote, or attach the contrasting leather strap to convert it to a shoulder bag when you really need to roll up your sleeves and get down to business.
2. An Elegant Watch: A sleek watch is the perfect fashion accessory for every professional woman on the go. Like the LBD, punctuality never goes out of style. Citizen’s Billie Jean King Commemorative Watch ($225) — inspired by the legendary tennis player who became a trailblazer for women’s equality both on and off the court — is classic, polished, and statement-worthy. The chic watch is powered by light, and you’ll never need to replace the battery, so it will outlast even the busiest HBIC’s cell phone (and backup charger). Plus, empowered women empower women: Sales of the watch support the Billie Jean King Leadership Initiative, a non-profit designed to recognize and promote diverse talent all over the world.
3. A Planner: Keep track of your busy life with a planner that helps you stay organized and motivated to reach your goals. Erin Condren’s Hardbound Planner ($30) is travel-size and has weekly and monthly spreads, lined and blank pages for note taking or doodling, goal-setting pages, and motivational quotes in case you need a reminder to slay every day. You can customize your own planner on the Erin Condren website or pick up this version with a water colored cover and rose foil accents; it’s so gorgeous, you’ll actually want to use it daily. Plus, science has shown physically writing things down is good for your brain, but you probably already knew that.
4. A Bold Red Lipstick: Whether you’re about to give an important presentation at work or hit the town with your best girlfriends, there’s nothing quite as transformative and instantly confidence-boosting as a bold red lip. MAC’s Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo ($18) is vibrant, long-lasting, and dramatic in the best way. There’s a reason why the red lip is classic and timeless — it’s the ultimate (and easiest) way to add a pop of color and the finishing touch to any look, day or night.
5. A Phone Charger: The ABCs of being an HBIC: Always Be Charging. The Anker Portable Charger ($40) is small enough to fit in your purse or pocket but powerful enough to get you back to a full charge quickly, so you don’t have to panic over a low battery alert or slow down your busy schedule of texting, emailing, chatting, calling, snapping, tweeting, and ‘gramming.
6. A Cool Water Bottle: Skip the disposable bottles and keep yourself well-hydrated while also doing your part for the environment. The S’well Insulated Water Bottle ($35) is BPA-free, stylish, and perfectly sized to carry. It keeps beverages cold for 24 hours or hot for 12, so you’re covered whether you need some cold water after your morning spin class or a steady coffee fix during a long afternoon brainstorm session. The vacuum insulation also keeps carbonated drinks fresh — you’ll never have to let go of that La Croix (or let’s be honest, Champagne) addiction.
7. A Pair of Noise-Cancelling Headphones: Noise-cancelling headphones are a must for productivity. Bose QuietComfort 20 Headphones ($249) will make sure you hear only what you want to hear — turn on noise cancelling to block out an overly chatty coworker or gym buddy with some Beyoncé jams; toggle Aware mode if you need to hear what’s happening around you on a busy street. The remote and mic let you easily switch over to an important call at the touch of a finger, and the ear tips fit comfortably and securely to create the best acoustic experience.
8. A Great Pair of Heels: A fab pair of high heels can lend a sense of feminine power and strength to the way you carry yourself (literally… we can probably count on one hand the number of heels that are actually comfortable for extended wear). Channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw with these Schutz Docia Pointy Mules ($190), which are striking, unique, and guaranteed to make an entrance. And if you need a backup pair of cute flats to change into at the end of a particularly long day, no judgments, we’ve got you covered.
9. A Reliable Suitcase: Look like the pro you are by investing in a suitcase that makes traveling more stylish and less painful. The Away Carry-On Suitcase ($225) has a clean design and comes in a variety of fun colors, and its dual compartments can fit everything you need for a multi-day trip. It’s durable, scratch-proof hard case and 360-degree wheels will keep up with all your jet-setting, for business and for pleasure. Bonus: The suitcase has a battery built in to ensure all your devices stay charged.
10. An Emergency Beauty Kit: Life happens, but that doesn’t mean you have to take a wardrobe mishap, food in your teeth, a loose button, or an annoying headache lying down. The Pinch Provisions Minimergency Kit ($18) is a tiny pouch that packs a big problem-solving punch. It has all the essentials you’ll need to MacGyver away unexpected beauty, fashion, or personal-care hiccups (think pain relievers, clear nail polish, breath freshener, and the like), so you can stop stressing about the little things and get back to focusing on the big ones.
What are your HBIC essentials? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.