Here Are 11 of the Most Explosive Celeb Reactions to Donald Trump’s Video Scandal
Donald Trump is in hot water… again. In a shocking 2005 video released on Friday that “trumped” any campaign video Hillary Clinton ever could have posted on how a Trump presidency could hurt girls, the presidential hopeful was seen and heard making comments even more outrageous than his fat-shaming remarks of pregnant Kim Kardashian and his attack on a ’90s beauty queen.
The clip in question, which was obtained by The Washington Post, reveals a previously unheard conversation between the Republican candidate and former Access Hollywood cohost Billy Bush during a set visit to Days of Our Lives. Trump can clearly be heard boasting about failing to pick up Billy’s married co-host, Nancy O’Dell, and implying that sexual assault is okay when you’re a celebrity because “when you’re a star… you can do anything.” Ay yi yi!
Now, celebrities and #GirlBosses, like Lena Dunham and Zendaya, are wasting no time firing back. Check out 11 of the most explosive reactions below!
1. Lena Dunham: The Girls star made an extremely important point in one powerful sentence that said it all: “We need better lessons for our daughters.”
2. Zendaya: Never one to shy away from speaking her mind and shutting down haters, the 20-year-old was one of the first to voice her “disgust.”
3. Cher: Complete with her signature use of caps and emoji, Cher’s tweet not only sends a strong message — “Ladies, we are not disposable blowup dolls” — it includes a poignant personal story that makes her all too relatable.
4. Emmy Rossum: The 30-year-old actress proved something the Trump camp will have a hard time fighting against: the fact that his comments have very real consequences, one of which is a loss of votes.
5. John Legend: John reminded the Twitterverse that it shouldn’t just be up to women to stand up for their rights, as he joined in voicing his disapproval of Trump’s remarks.
6. Sophia Bush: Posting a quote from the video on Instagram, Sophia shared the most facts of perhaps any celeb when she explained: “US government and United Nations research shows that one in five American women are the victim of rape or attempted rape. 83% of girls suffer sexual harassment at school. The most offensive word in this sentence isn’t p****, it’s grab. Men who force their advances on women… are guilty of sexual assault.”
7. Kesha: While performing in China, Kesha used her time on stage to share her reaction to the video scandal. She then posted a clip from the show to Instagram and captioned it: “F*** you Donald Trump. It has unfortunately come to this point. I usually try to be a little classier than this, but since you’ve taken it there, so will I. THIS IS WHAT RAPE CULTURE IS.”
8. Jesse Tyler Ferguson: The Modern Family star took another approach to the controversy. After expressing his initial shock, he returned with an observation that was tinted with his signature quick wit.
9. Amy Schumer: Amy went the same route as JTF, showcasing her sarcasm and the ridiculousness of the situation like only she can, captioning this selfie: “How did I know he should be the next president? He bought me a futon and grabbed my p****.”
10. Salma Hayek: Salma also kept things seemingly light-hearted but full of meaning when she posted a snap of Trump piñatas and wrote: “The #Donald #trump #piñata is the most popular in the #market I anticipate he will also be the scariest costume for #halloween.”
11. Robert De Niro: Perhaps no one delivered a message quite as bold and impassioned as Robert, who is now a trending topic himself due to his response to the leaked tape. While filming a segment for the #VoteYourFuture initiative, the iconic actor revealed what he’d like to do if he came face to face with Trump: Punch him.
What’s your reaction to the video? Tweet us @BritandCo.
(Photo via Andrew H. Walker/Getty)