The Luckiest Decor for Your Chinese New Year Party
Happy Chinese New Year! The Year of the Sheep is officially here, and it’s time to party for the next two weeks. We know you’ve got your menu down by now, but don’t let all that food distract you from your decor game. From lanterns to festive firecrackers, here’s how to bring some luck and prosperity to your Chinese New Year party.
1. Red Envelopes ($3): If there’s one thing we look forward to every Chinese New Year, it’s the hongbaos (aka red envelopes). Only kids, singles and parents get them (sorry, married folks), but it’s your party and you can do what you want. Fill red envelopes with one to five dollars (preferably new bills), string them up as decor for the night and then tell your guests to grab one before they head out. Make sure they say, “Gong Hei Fat Choi,” or no red envelope for them!
2. Paper Cutting ($75): Fill your walls with different designs of your choice. If you don’t want to splurge on these handmade designs, you can turn this into a fun activity for everyone to do at your party — you could even make a contest out of it. The most popular paper cutting design is the Chinese character, “Fu,” which means fortune or good luck. It’s traditionally hung upside down to signify that fortune has arrived.
3. Paper Pineapples: This might sound like a weird decoration to have at a party, but trust us on this one. Pineapples represent future prosperity and good luck, so try this paper pineapple DIY and scatter these babies all over your tablescape. (via Jenny W. Chan)
4. Gold Ingots ($48): Bring on the bling. Stack these guys up as a centerpiece for your dining table. After all, who doesn’t want to look at shiny gold blocks while they eat?
5. Chinese Firecrackers: Make some firecrackers out of red construction paper and string them together with twine. You can hang them outside or on your door knobs. The sound of a firecracker is meant to scare away bad luck, but in case you don’t have real ones, there’s an app for that. (via Hai Fang)
8. Paper Lanterns ($5): The 15th day of Chinese New Year is the Lantern Festival, where everyone… well, hangs lanterns! Try putting up these bright red cheerful ones.
How are you celebrating the Year of the Sheep? Let us know in the comments below!
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.