20 Citrusy Recipes to Ring in Chinese New Year
We sure can’t get enough gorgeous winter citrus, but vitamin C isn’t the only benefit. Oranges, tangerines, clementines, kumquats and pomelos are all considered lucky come Chinese New Year. We’ve hand-picked 20 recipes that are a terrific way to celebrate both the fruits themselves and the holiday at the same time. Now that’s one tasty way to multitask!
3. Pink Pomelo and Rose Tarts With Honey Meringue: These pomelo and rose tarts bring a romantic feeling to the table in a big way. Enjoy the combo of fluffy honey-sweetened meringue and creamy, tart curd followed by a buttery crust all in one bite. (via Butter and Brioche)
5. Slow Cooker Sesame Orange Chicken: This takeout fake-out is a breeze to make during the week. Pop everything in your slow cooker, set it on low, and five hours later it’s good to go. (via Wicked Spatula)
6. Clementine Ice Cream: A touch of orange liqueur brings out the flavor of the fresh clementine juice churned into this rich ice cream. It takes eight yolks, but we have plenty of ideas to keep the whites from going to waste. (via Savory Simple)
9. Baked Brie With Prosciutto and Kumquats: Cut into the crisp puff pastry shell to reveal an oozing round of brie topped with kumquats, cranberries and prosciutto. This is definitely worthy of an invite to your next party. (via See Salt)
12. Celebration Pomelo + Noodle Salad: Double down on your luck this Chinese New Year with this pairing of noodles and pomelo. Served chilled, it’s even a terrific make-ahead meal for lunch, dinner, you name it. (via Happy Hearted Kitchen)
13. Honey Tangerine Buffalo Chicken Wings With Yogurt Ranch Dip: These wings taste so much richer than they actually are. They skip the dip, the fryer and the usual fatty dressing, opting for the broiler and a fat-free, yogurt-based ranch. (via ChefDeHome)
17. Peking Duck Breast With Clementine + Spices: Working with duck breasts is *so* much easier than grilling the whole bird. This combo of fatty meat along with the tang of a sweet, spiced sauce will make mouths water. (via Cuisine Addict)
18. Raw Chocolate Mousse + Marinated Oranges: Reminiscent of those chocolate oranges that break apart into segments once smashed, this mousse is perfect for when you’re in the mood for something fluffier. (via Happy Hearted Kitchen)
19. Baked Mahi Mahi With Clementines: Mild-flavored mahi mahi is a great choice for this healthy dish. Stuff leftovers into tortillas along with salsa and slaw to make some righteous tacos. (via Army Wife to Suburban Life)
20. Vanilla Pound Cake With Kumquat-Thyme Marmalade: Even if pound cake isn’t your style, the marmalade alone is worth throwing together. It will elevate toast, scones, waffles and so much more. (via Salt + Wind)
Share your favorite citrus recipes with us below!