Simple Steps to Get Clear Skin
In this age of the selfie where our image is often on display, it would be easy to focus too much on skin imperfections. But put down the microscope. These 10 principles of clear skin will help you put your best face forward.
- Drink enough water. When you are dehydrated, your skin dries out. That sends a message to oil glands to produce more oil. Kill the messenger — drink more water.
- Eat healthy food, especially fruits and veggies that have vitamins and antioxidants which your skin craves. Limit sugar from sources other than fruit. This is good advice for your whole being, not just your face.
- Prevent outbreaks during your period by cutting back on dairy and alcohol a few days before and during. Just try it, you’ll see.
- Get some exercise. Exercise gets your blood circulating and improves digestion which helps with elimination of toxins. Even a fifteen minute brisk walk each day will help.
- Clean your face before and after exercise and remove makeup before bed. Celebrity esthetician Renée Rouleau — whose star clientele includes Emma Roberts, Demi Lovato and Jessica Simpson — recommends this regimen to keep your skin soft and radiant, especially in colder months.
- Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good enough. On nights when you are too tired to deal with a lot of steps, one good swipe with a makeup remover wipe is better than nothing.
- Change your pillow case often. Oil and bacteria from your hair can infect your skin.
- Don’t pick at your skin. Dirt and bacteria on your hands can worsen the infection. Treat outbreaks with a salicylic acid foam wash.
- If you need to pop a pimple, do it right. Sterilize a small needle with rubbing alcohol and puncture the head just enough to break skin. Lay a Q-Tip on either side and press until it’s drained. Finish with antibiotic cream and cover with a small Band-Aid if you can, to keep it clean.
- See a dermatologist if you have large, red, painful breakouts that go deep into the skin. You may have sebaceous acne, which can be cleared up with a prescription antibiotic cream.
Have an important event in the morning and need a miracle fast? These 13 tricks can help clear a skin outbreak overnight.
Do you have a skin care tip to share? Tag us on Instagram @britandco.