19 Easy Ways to Repurpose Wooden Crates
We all love a good repurposing project. They make for thrifty options for revamping your space and adding rustic charm to your decor. Below, we gathered up lots of ideas for transforming the old wooden crate you just picked up at the flea market into functional pieces for your home. From creative furniture to clever storage solutions, get inspired and get repurposing.
1. Children’s Toy Box: How adorable is this charming alternative to the traditional toy box?! (via At Home in Love)
2. Hanging Wall Shelf: A fresh spin on a wall shelf, this DIY project will display your trinkets beautifully. (via Brit + Co)
5. Bookshelf: Stacking crates to form a simple shelving unit is the perfect (and quick) fix for a room short on storage or display space. (via Mom Prepares)
6. Mudroom Organizers: Adding a few crates near any doorway creates instant storage and organization. (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. Planter: No garden space? No worries! (via Apartment Therapy)
8. Bicycle Basket: Tote your fresh fruits and veggies home from the market in this adorable, repurposed crate attached to the back of your bike. Hello, eco-friendly! (via Field Guided)
9. Mini Bar: If you don’t have space for a full-size bar, stash supplies for a few of your favorite drinks in a wall-hung crate. (via Apartment Therapy)
10. DIY Laundry Station: Hoping your ironing board doesn’t fall on you when you reach for the laundry detergent? Create a little hanging station that acts as a shelf and save yourself! (via Craftaholics Anonymous)
11. Antique Wood Crate Tray: Using a crate gives some extra stability and height to your breakfast-in-bed situation. (via Oriental Trading)
12. Wood Crate Light Sconces: Take the trend one step further with some colorful pendant light shades — we love the range of pastel hues inside. (via Contemporist)
13. DIY Utensil Caddy: Summer entertaining has never been easier. The leather handles give this easy project a boutique-y edge and tons of style. (via Art, Decoration & Crafting)
14. DIY Wood Crate Side Table: A dark stain and some slim-line legs do wonders for giving this up-cycled fruit crate an elevated, mid-century modern look. (via Dream Green DIY)
15. Wood Crate Cubbies: Kids’ stuff needs wrangling? Look no further than this custom-built storage system. It’s modular perfection. (via Jaime Costiglio)
16. DIY Crate Bookcase: While this setup is perfect for a kid’s room, it works in any space with angled walls or non-standard dimensions. Just make sure you secure all your crates to each other and to the wall. (via Maison de Pax)
17. Fruit Crate Room Divider: Studio apartment living calls for ingenious room divider options, and this is one for the books. (via RP Online)
18. Wood Crate Toy Storage: Casters truly transform these boxes, making them the practical, perfect place to stash all those action figures, doll outfits, and other kiddie items. (via A Bubbly Life)
19. DIY Wood Crate Picnic Basket: This multi-purpose basket, which boasts a clever lid that doubles as a stool, has summer vibes written all over it. (via Damask Love)
Love learning about all things DIY? Follow us on Pinterest for more!
(Additional reporting by Ariel Garneau)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)