3 Hair Hacks for Curly-Haired Girls
I sat down with our lovely marketing intern Sammy on her last day here at Brit + Co (we miss you already, girl!) and picked her brain about why women with the most gorgeous natural curls rarely rock them. After a lot of back and forth — most of which consisted of me saying “What?!?! You’re crazy, your hair is PERFECT!” — what it came down to was this.
While some curls are tame and fall in the most effortless way, there are many other springy strands that are unruly — and frankly unflattering in the eyes of curly-locked ladies. Sammie not only let us in on a few of her favorite must-have products, but also tricks all curly-haired girls should know for when you’re in the mood to go with your natural curls. Here are three easy ways to style your natural hair that will have you loving your own curls as much as the rest of us do!
Flawless Down ‘Do
1. Use a 1/4-inch curling iron, wrap small strands of your hair around the curling iron, leaving the ends out. This will give your unruly curls a little shape and make them fall in the right direction.
2. Really just go for it. There is no rhyme or reason to this hair hack other than to add a little more texture. Here, Sammy is curling her hair halfway down the hair shaft and leaving the top portion untouched.
3. Once the last little guy is in, place a dime size amount of Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texture Paste ($16) on the palm of your hand and rub together. Then scrunch it throughout your hair to piece the curls apart without causing too much frizz.
4. Finally, mist your hair all over with Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray ($10) for extra hold on that texture.
5. Use a fine-toothed comb to gently backcomb some of your curls to add body and shape where you need it.
Flawless curls! See what just a little enhancement can do?
1. Place an exaggerated side part in your hair. Then begin braiding the side of your hair that has a heavier part.
2. Once the braid is established, take a piece of hair from the top of your head and add it into the braid.
3. Braid to the next step.
4. Now drop the piece you added, pushing it down to the bottom, and leave it out.
5. Pick up a new strand of hair to the left of the one you just dropped and incorporate it into the braid.
6. Repeat those same steps and keep braiding towards the other side of your head.
7. Use bobby pins to secure the braid when you get to the other side.
This five-minute ‘do should be your go-to when you’re pressed for time but still want to look polished, no product necessary!
Pretty Messy Knot
1. Grab your hair and start to twist it up into a messy knotted bun.
2. Pull the pieces of hair into a shape that you like.
3. Start pinning random hairs into place with bobby pins to create a more intentional shape.
4. Pull out some of those baby hairs around your face to go with the #iwokeuplikethis look you are working towards.
5. Pin the front or any other areas into a fun silhouette.
6. Spray gently with a little hairspray to hold.
Now who was it that said being a bedhead was a bad thing?
What other curly hair tricks do you use on the regular? Share your hair hacks with us in the comments.