Awards shows are some of the greatest places for fashion inspiration, and when models walk the red carpet, you know that there are bound to be plenty of cool styling tips and tricks. Broadway’s big night, the Tony Awards, happened earlier this month and had no shortage of fashion inspo, from Saoirse Ronan’s demure cutout dress to Lupita Nyong’o’s gorgeous floral off-the-shoulder number. But it was supermodel Karolina Kurkova that brought our fave kind of style inspo: A simple hack that you can carry off at home with ease.
Karolina stole the red carpet with her cool interpretation of an LBD. A simple silk bomber plus a long black dress (she probably just had both hanging out in her closet) is a casual yet elegant take on formal dressing — and works especially great as the heat dies down and it gets a little chillier outside. Here are six ways to achieve this A+ look.
1. Azbro Floral Silk Jacket ($33) and Mango Long Dress ($130): If you’re looking to keep your outfit uber-feminine but still modern, skip ruffles and lace and go for a streamlined dress in a pretty color, like this lilac. Adding a silk bomber takes a conservative, modest dress in a completely different direction, but definitely a cool one. Add flat sneakers to keep the athleisure attitude, or go with heeled sandals to dress it up.
2. Zara Printed Bomber ($50) and River Island Blue Maxi Dress ($84): Throwing a sweet floral bomber over a lace-trimmed dress turns it into a completely different look. People will never be able to tell that it’s that same reliable lace dress you always rock — a fancy bomber like this becomes the statement piece of the look.
3. Dorothy Perkins Khaki Bomber ($79) and Topshop Button Dress ($65): Two simple statement pieces like this are probably already hanging out in your closet, so why not combine them for a fresh look? A colorful slip dress combined with a springy silk bomber makes a great canvas for dressing up or down. Go with slides for the weekend, or pointy-toed heels for a date night or GNO.
4. H&M Printed Pilot Jacket ($35) and Equipment Silk Dress ($300): Chilly at that wedding? Throw a printed jacket over your silk slip dress instead of a blazer or cardigan. If you’re wearing statement jewelry, take it off before adding the jacket — treat your topper as if it’s an accessory itself to make sure you look balanced and beautiful.
5. Zara Metallic Jacket ($50) and Boohoo Petite Ria Dress ($52): If you want to get super fancy, try something tonal with some metallics, like this rose gold jacket and pale pink dress combo. The vertical stripe of white in the dress breaks up the long maxi, and can help shorter gals look taller.
6. Topshop Airtex Bomber Jacket ($95) and Zara Striped Zig Zag Dress ($100): If you’re ready to go all out with the trend, try this striped knit dress with a truly unexpected baby pink bomber. Some style bloggers have started using pale pinks and blues as neutrals, and it can work here in that cool, understated, slightly bonkers fashion-blogger way.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspiration!
(Feature image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.