Cauli Mash So Good, We Can’t Believe It’s Keto
Have you ever wondered how those insanely popular pinned recipes on Pinterest actually taste? Us too, which is why we’ve started a new series, Pin to Plate. We’re interviewing the blogger, testing out those recipes in-house, photographing our results, and sharing our experience. #PinFails, you’ve become a thing of the past.
Dairy-free, low-carb, or keto — these adjectives are practically the opposite of what describes mashed potatoes. But cauliflower, when boiled, can sub in for the spud, resulting in a silky version that looks and actually tastes similar to the real deal. That’s probably why this cauliflower mash happens to be one of the most popular healthy Thanksgiving recipes on Pinterest. We learned what makes it special (from the blogger herself) and tried the recipe out ourselves to report whether or not your Thanksgiving table needs a side of these. Spoiler: It does!
London Brazil, the blogger of Evolving Table, devised a gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, low-carb, keto, and paleo recipe for roasted garlic mashed cauliflower. That fits almost every specialty diet, hence why it’s amassed 20K saves and counting. She developed this recipe because she didn’t want anyone to feel left out when dining on Thanksgiving. “I love creating recipes that taste as good as the traditional version but are loaded with nutrients! Following a strict diet doesn’t mean you should feel deprived on Thanksgiving,” she tells Brit + Co.
The cauli gets most of its flavor from the addition of woody herbs and freshly roasted garlic cloves. Squeezing the tender cloves out of the paper is the most fun part — don’t be surprised if you fight your friends and family to complete that task! Those cloves are blended with olive oil and almond milk for a purée that really does taste similar to the mash you’ve grown up with, only much lighter and with no post-dinner nap coma. Brazil adds, “They will actually feel energized after eating Thanksgiving dinner instead of sluggish. This is something that can be hard to accomplish when a meal is loaded with carbs.”
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Cook Time: 55minutes
Recipe Notes: You may need to reheat the mashed cauliflower before serving. Transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil, and reheat in the oven at 375°F until heated through (up to an hour). Or cover the bowl with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1-minute intervals, stirring in-between, until heated through.
- 1 head garlic, top cut off to reveal garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup almond milk, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or sage
- 3-4 roasted garlic cloves, plus more for garnish
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper
- fines herbes (parsley, chervil, tarragon, chives), for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lay out a square sheet of aluminum foil, and place cut garlic head on top. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Wrap aluminum foil tightly around garlic.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until the cloves become soft and caramelized.
4. Allow the garlic head to cool before attempting to remove the cloves. We recommend squeezing them out starting from the base of the garlic and working your way up. The cloves should pop right out. Set them aside.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
6. Boil the cauliflower for 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.
7. Drain the water and place the cauliflower on a towel; let cool for 10 minutes before handling. Dry it completely before proceeding.
8. In the bowl of a food processor, combine cauliflower, almond milk, 3 tablespoons olive oil, rosemary, thyme, 3 to 4 roasted garlic cloves, 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
9. Puree or blend (with the help of a tamper) for 2-3 minutes or until mashed cauliflower is completely smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every 30-45 seconds to ensure even pureeing. Doctor with more almond milk, olive oil, and salt as needed.
10. Transfer mashed cauliflower to a bowl. Drizzle with more olive oil, a few additional roasted garlic cloves, and finely diced fines herbes (parsley, chervil, tarragon, chives).
Find more #NotCheating inspo by following Brit + Co on Pinterest.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)