18 Ways to Make Your Kid’s Pool Party Epic
Folks, the temp outside is getting higher and higher, and that calls for one thing: a pool party. While we adults love a good afternoon swim (+ all of the printed swimsuits we get to buy), the kids are really the ones looking forward to those swim-filled parties. Before you go the old-fashioned route with beach balls and pool noodles, opt for these DIY ideas that’ll make your kiddo’s pool party the best on the block. Get ready for their party to go from a simple get-together to an all-out bash before you can say Marco Polo.
1. DIY Beach Ball Bowling: The pool party might be *all* about the water, but the kids are going to need a break at some point. Use pool noodles, a beach ball and soda bottles to create a DIY bowling set that they’ll love just as much as swimming. (via Polka Dot Chair)
2. Beach Bucket Party Favor: Goodie bags are kind of the best part of any party… especially when you’re throwing one for the little ones. Kick their excitement level up a notch with a beach bucket decked out in all things summer, and stick them to each seat so they can dig through their new goodies during lunchtime. (via Project Junior)
3. DIY Popsicle Balloons: In need of a few decorations? Pick up a bag of twisting balloons (the ones that clowns use) and some popsicle sticks to make this cute DIY. Add them to the snack table for a decoration that will make your space festive AF. (via Studio DIY)
4. Raspberry Crush Punch: A refreshing drink is exactly what the little ones need after a long swim. Add cran-raspberry juice concentrate, pineapple juice and some extra ingredients to your grocery list so the kids (and you!) can have something to sip on all afternoon. (via Liz on Call)
5. DIY Pool Float Invitation: Looking for a way to really wow your munchkin’s friends? Customize a pool float with a permanent marker for a DIY invitation that’s going to get them seriously excited for the party. Pro tip: You should totally mail this when it’s *not* blown up ;) (via Let’s Mingle)
6. DIY Crazy Straws: What kid doesn’t love crazy straws? Let them sip on their punch in style by making these with whatever phrase you want. If you’re looking for the perfect way to tie it in with your pool party, go for things like “float” or “swim” to amp things up. (via Aww, Sam)
7. Watermelon Popsicles: Two things a summer party can’t live without: popsicles + watermelon. Combine them, and the kiddos are going to be ob-sessed. Use this recipe to whip up a batch or two for a yummy snack after a long swim in the pool. (via Cooking Classy)
8. DIY Jumbo Jenga: While most of the kids will spend the entire time in the water, some of them might be a little less swim-obsessed. DIY this jumbo Jenga set so they can play on the deck all afternoon. Plus, you can use the set for the rest of your summer parties. Score! (via Style Me Pretty Living)
9. DIY Snow Cone Piñata: The only thing better than the icy treat itself? A snow cone piñata, of course. Use cardboard and tissue paper to make a party essential that your little ones will love taking a whack at. (via Brit + Co)
10. Splish Splash Printable Invitation: If you’re working on a last-minute schedule, opt for this printable invitation that’s *super* easy to send out and — wait for it — FREE. Simply DL the invite, scribble in your party deets and pop it in the mail to get the kids excited for the bash. (via Design Is Yay!)
11. Tattly Boardwalk Temporary Tattoos ($15): Nothing brings you back to childhood quite like a pack of temporary tatts. Let your kids in on the fun with a variety pack of beach-filled tattoos. Whether you add a pack to each goodie bag or make it an activity for the party, the kids will have a blast sticking these bad boys on.
12. Beachy Photo Booth Backdrop: Throwing together a quick and easy photo booth is a no-brainer for any party. Use a blue bed sheet, pool noodles and some easy extras to create a pool scene that’s totally worth snapping some pics in front of. (via Catch My Party)
14. Licorice Pool Noodles: A snack that’s just as clever as it is easy to put together is the kind of thing a kid’s party needs. Snag a rainbow pack of licorice at the grocery store, stick ’em in a cup and add a “Pool Noodles” sign to stay true to the theme. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
15. DIY Beach Ball Garland: You’ve probably already picked up a few beach balls to play with in the pool, but a beach ball garland is what’s going to give your patio the extra oomph it needs. DIY this colorful banner using Smoothfoam (nope, not styrofoam) balls and craft paint for an easy way to make your space next-level. (via Studio DIY)
16. Urban Outfitters Giant Ice Pop Pool Float ($34): A pool party without a float? LOL. This jumbo ice pop float from Urban Outfitters is the perfect option for your kiddos to have fun all day long.
17. Party Straws + Flags: Paper straws are such an easy way to up your hosting game, but there’s one way to make them *that* much better. All you need to do is top them off with a paper flag that fits your theme so the kiddos can sip in style. Pro tip: Use this DIY to add names to everyone’s drink, so nobody gets mixed up. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
18. DIY Painted Swimsuit: Give your munchkin’s suit an easy upgrade with a stencil and a few coats of white fabric paint so they can get two seasons of wear out of last year’s swimsuit. Now all they’ll need is some sweet new sunnies to go with their snazzy suit. (via Brit + Co)
Are you throwing a pool party this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer party inspiration!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)