Light It Up! 15 Awesome LED Projects
Speaking of bright lights and big balloon-filled celebrations, what about getting into some DIY action with LED lights? LEDs are awesome and make it easy to turn household items like bottles, jars, and cotton balls into gorgeously illuminated pieces of decor.
2. Electric Umbrella: This one is definitely more involved, but with pretty incredible results. We might try hacking it with individual LED lights and cleverly placed wire, but ours probably wouldn’t close as nicely as this one. (Tutorial and photos: Instructables)
5. Outdoor Cactus Lamp: This playful little number is a sweet piece of lighting for any outdoor space, whether you’ve got a teeny tiny balcony or a full on secret garden. (Tutorial and photos: Apartment Therapy)
6. LED Lego Lamps: You don’t have to be a kid to love playing with Legos. We love these table lamps made using transparent legos and LED lights! These are available to buy but we think they’d be totally DIY-able! (Photos: Brando)
7. Holiday Centerpieces: When the holidays start to roll around, you’ll see all sorts of stars, candles, and snowflakes showing up in LED form. Turn them into centerpieces with pine cones, ornaments, and salt! (Tutorial and photos: Brit + Co.)
8. Vintage Movie Marquee: This DIY involves mini bulb lights on a strand, but we think you could also get away with LED lights if you like the idea of keep things unplugged. (Tutorial and photos: Oh Happy Day)
10. LED Cloud Lanterns: For a dreamy look, combine cotton batting, paper lanterns, and LEDs to create cloud lanterns. Love these! Great for a wedding, baby shower, bridal shower, or just for your bedroom. (Photo: Kitchen Undone)
11. Bottle Chandeliers: Now, this project calls for an Arduino Duemilanove, but I’m pretty sure we could hack something similar by dropping in LED lights right before the party gets started. Easy enough to replace! (Photos and Tutorial: Instructables)
12. Ping Pong Lights: Like the movie marquee, this one called for bulb lights on a strand. We’re gonna go ahead and take this as inspiration for creating a whole bucket of illuminated ping pong balls. So fun for a birthday party or wedding after party! (Photos: Instructables)
14. Sparkleball: Kind of obsessed with the name of this LED object. All you need for this are plastic cups, a hole puncher, a string of LED lights, and zip ties. So fun! (Photo and Tutorial: Instructables)
Have you seen any cool and crafty applications of LED lights? Tried any yourself? Talk to us in the comments below.