10 Mad Men-Inspired Retro DIYs
After a brutal year-long wait, Mad Men is finally back on our television screens with the very last batch of episodes as the award-winning series comes to a close. In honor of the show’s envy-worthy retro 1960s style, we’re sharing a list of DIYs that are perfect for making a fashion statement, showing off at a dinner party or upgrading your home decor. Scroll on for hacks that effortlessly allow you to hold on to a small piece of this beloved show and its incredibly stylish time period.
1. Bar Cart: When you drink as much as the characters on Mad Men, investing in a bar cart is practically a necessity. Instead of buying one, get your creative juices flowing and make this DIY version at home. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Hostess Apron: Every good hostess knows that presentation is everything. Channel your inner Betty Draper and take a stab at making this hostess apron that’s as feminine as can be. (via Style Me Pretty)
3. Joan Holloway’s Pen Necklace: True Mad Men fans know who really runs things on the show… and it’s not the men. It’s sexy, sultry and smart Joan Holloway, whose style is unmatched, right down to her famous pen necklace. Try out this DIY version of her super stylish accessory on your own. (via Mad in Crafts)
5. Suitcase Table: Repurposing something old and turning it into something new is one of the best ways to begin your DIY journey. If you travel as much as Don Draper, it should be easy to find an old suitcase and turn it into this edgy table. (via Woon Blog)
6. Cardigan Clip: Wearing your cardigan across your shoulders, much like the ladies on Mad Men, is such a feminine and pretty fashion statement. Worrying about it constantly falling off sorta ruins the fun, so keep your favorite cardi in place with a simple DIY clip. (via Mollie Makes)
7. 1960s-Inspired Table: The 1960s were all about bold prints and art deco-inspired bright colors, just like the ones seen on Mad Men. Take that inspiration into your home with a rockin’ table. (via Crafts Unleashed)
8. Garden Party Favors: A good party is more than the food and the booze — it’s also about the ambience and party favors. These cute succulents would make any 1960s housewife proud. (via Camille Styles)
Do you have any retro DIYs that you want to share? Let us know all about it in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)