Although it’s been awhile since our college cooking days, we still love the microwave. Besides just reheating food, the microwave is surpisingly handy when it comes to cooking food. Easy, quick, and convenient, what’s not to love?
Once we started exploring the world of microwave gourmet, we were stunned to find all the amazing dishes you can create with nothing but a microwave! Here are 12 such recipes we can’t wait to try.
1. Quinoa and Basmati Pilaf: Whether or not you’re vegan, this dish still looks hearty enough to satisfy the largest of appetites. (Recipe and photo: Manifest Vegan)
2. Microwave Salmon: A deliciously spicy salmon ready in under 10 minutes. (Recipe and photo: Savory Sweet Life)
3. Queso Blanco Dip: Need a last minute appetizer for tonight’s dinner party? The kids will love this one. (Recipe and photo: Pennies on a Platter)
4. Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese: We can attest to the fact that this microwave mac is amazing. Seriously. (Recipe and photo: Brit + Co)
5. Apple Spiced Honey Pork Spare Ribs: Ribs… in the microwave? See ya later grill. A new guy’s in town. (Recipe and photo: 365+ Gourmet Meals on a Budget)
6. English Muffin: Fresh bread. From a microwave. What. (Recipe and photo: Food Gal)
7. Chocolate Muffin with Peanut Butter Icing: We love how this recipe creates a single serving muffin, perfect for satisfying that random craving. (Recipe and photo: Dessert with Benefits)
8. Mini Lemon Meringue Pies: These adorable meringue pies are perfect for that hot summer day when you want a tasty dessert without turning on the oven. (Recipe and photo: My Baking Addiction)
9. Cookie Crumb Caramel Fudge: Who knew that making fudge could be so easy? (Recipe and photo: Cook Republic)
10. Parmesan Cheese Bowls: We are seriously impressed by these bowls made out of cheese. Who would’ve thunk?! (Recipe and photo: The Yummy Life)
11. Steel Cut Oats: Want oatmeal that’s more nutritious than those instant oats? Check out steel cut oats — they’ve got great texture and are more nutritious, and are also less processed. (Recipe and photo: Tastespotting Blog)
12. Sweet Potato Chips: If you want a small batch of chips instead of a wide variety (like we did), nuke ‘em in the microwave. (Recipe and photo: Rachel Cooks)
What’s your go-to recipe for making with the microwave? Tell us in the comments or even show us some photos on Facebook or Twitter!