It’s Thursday and we’re one day shy of the weekend, but before you get to your Netflix Watch List or whatever else is on your weekend agenda, you’ve gotta know what’s up in the world today. We have all the biggest buzz from this AM right here.
1. The ’90s are back! Sarah Michelle Gellar has confirmed she’s coming back as Kathryn Merteuil for the new NBC Cruel Intentions TV show. The actress and mom of two posted this pic of herself with the director and executive producer of the movie and show on her Facebook announcing the news. The ’99 hit film starred SMG as a beautiful but conniving Upper East Side teen who makes a fatal bet with her equally attractive stepbrother, played by Ryan Phillippe, about another pretty teen, played by Reese Witherspoon. OMG now let’s hope Reese returns too! (Photo via Sara Michelle Gellar/Facebook)
2. Lorde totally slayed the tribute to David Bowie at last night’s BRIT Awards. Last night in the late Starman’s home country, singer Lorde took the stage alongside David Bowie’s own backing band and sang “Life on Mars.” Perhaps equally moving, if not more, was the heartfelt and tearjerking introduction given by his longtime friend Gary Oldman, who ended his speech with, “He was the sweetest soul ever, with the best cheekbones, until it was done. David, you were mortal, but your potential was superhuman, and your remarkable music is living on. We love you, and we thank you.”
Even David Bowie’s son and film director Duncan responded to the tribute by writing, “Finally found the links to tonight’s Brits. Just… beautiful. Thank you.” Duncan Jones was unfortunately not a fan of Lady Gaga’s tribute to his late father at the Grammys, tweeting, “Overexcited or irrational, typically as a result of infatuation or excessive enthusiasm/ mentally confused” after THAT performance. Yikes, glad he enjoyed this one. (h/t The Guardian)
3. Adele won our hearts AGAIN with her emotional speech(es) at the BRIT Awards. Another total scene-stealer last night was Adele — wearing an absolutely magnificent maroon gown that perfectly matched her lip color, we might add. The Hello singer won four awards last night, including British Female Solo Artist and Best Single. During her acceptance speech for the first, Adele announced, “I’d also like to take this moment to publicly support Kesha.” YAAAS, QUEEN!
Later on in the night after she won the Global Success Award, girlfriend got quite emotional saying, “I can’t work out whether I’m crying because of this award or because Tim Peake said it, my kid’s going to think I’m so cool. I got really lost for a while and I didn’t know if I was ever going to come back. For you all to be so kind to me, it’s so nice! Not bad for a girl from Tottenham who don’t like flying, Global Success!” Yep, down to earth as EVER. She also let slip an F-bomb that the censors accidentally didn’t bleep out. Whoops. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
4. An adorable young Afghan boy photographed wearing a plastic bag as a Lionel Messi jersey gets the real thing. A couple weeks back, a photograph of a little boy in Afghanistan — sporting a blue and white plastic trash bag with the world famous Argentinian soccer player’s name and jersey number on it — went totally viral.
Today, we’ve got the heartwarming follow-up to that story. The kid is five-year-old Murtaza Ahmadi and Lionel Messi himself sent his young fan two personally signed jerseys, as well as a ball. All together now, AWWW. (h/t Time)
5. James Corden and Jenna Dewan-Tatum took a dancing class from… toddlers. In possibly the cutest segment of late night TV, impressive dancer and actress Jenna Dewan-Tatum and talk show host James Corden took a dance class from tots called Toddlerography. Warning: watching this video WILL make you crack up like a maniac, so if you’re surrounded by bleary-eyed morning commuters, be aware.
6. Quote of the Day: “The first memory of sound would have to be your mother’s heartbeat… And that’s why we love pwoh pwoh pwoh: It’s so simple, you know that.” — Lou Reed
What morning news has caught YOUR attention? Let us know @BritandCo.