5 No-Fail Ways to Plant a Garden
It’s been decided. This is the summer that you finally tackle the task of starting a garden. Whether you’re working with a window box, a window sill, or an entire hard, it can be a little scary delving into the world of gardening, especially if you’ve never grown anything before. While we’ve shown you all sorts of creative planters, it’s time to focus on the plants that might go in them. Here are 5 ways to turn your black thumb green with these smart planters, pots, and gadgets sure to make your garden grows.
1. Self-Watering Patch Planter ($38): Currently looking for funding on Kickstarter, the Patch Planter is pretty genius. First of all, it packs flat for easy shipping and includes everything you need to start growing your own food. Not only does it automatically deliver the right amount of water to your herbs, it does so without any technology. Just add water and sun! We love the idea of growing our own fresh herbs and greens, especially for making yummy summer salads and fresh pesto.
2. Root Cup Starter Kit ($50): These adorable root cups are made especially for fostering plant growth from just a root. Whether you’re rooting herbs, succulents or an avocado pit, these silicone cups make it easy to start your new plants off right. These would definitely do well in Northern California, where succulents and avocados run rampant! We love the idea of gathering up a whole bunch of these on a window sill.
3. Le Petit Singularite DIY Terrarium Kit ($25): Terrariums have been super trendy for a while, and it doesn’t look like that will be changing anytime soon. They’re easy to take care of, fun to personalize, and leave plenty of room for gold animal toys. Start off small with this mini kit that will help you make a moss terrarium. Once you’ve kept that alive you can move on to bigger, needier plants.
4. Recycle a Bottle Plant Nanny ($17 for four): Ready to drink more wine and take care of your plants when you’re away? This set of four clever stakes lets you keep plants watered while you’re on vacation. Simply fill an empty wine bottle with water, place upside down in the plant nanny, and your plant will stay nourished for up to 10 days!
5. Wildflower Seed Bombs ($14): Not sure where to start on the gardening front? Why not go for a more random approach? These wildflower seed bombs turn any forgotten patch of grass into a sweet, colorful, garden. Plus, we love the poetic “Throw & Grow!” slogan. (Herbal Tea Seed Bombs also available.)
Do you have any tips and tricks for novice gardeners? Share them with us in the comments below. Happy gardening!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)