Weather alert: It’s warming up, so ease yourself into the grilling groove with these salmon skewers, which are Paleo too. There’s no denying the deliciousness and simplicity of adding salmon, veggies, and a flavorful glaze to your grilling menu for a seasonally appropriate dinner that’s healthy to boot. If you’ve ever attempted to grill salmon, you know it can have the tendency to stick to the barbecue but not these skewers. We promise that this method is kind even on the greenest of grillers.
For the kebabs or skewers (whatever you call them), pick your favorite Paleo-approved veggies to pair with the salmon (we opted for asparagus, green pepper, squash, and mushrooms) and use this simple glaze made with pure maple syrup, Dijon mustard, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Seriously, that’s it. The sweet-and-tangy flavors of the glaze really shine through and pair with the buttery salmon and fresh veg.
It only takes about 10 minutes of grill time to deliver this dish. Make sure all the veg and salmon pieces are evenly cut to roughly the same height and width so they all cook perfectly. And don’t forget to set a bit of the glaze aside so you can drizzle it over your skewers after they’ve finished cooking. Serve on the skewers or removed alongside your favorite side like salad or cauliflower rice.
You better believe that these skewers are nutrient dense too. Get your antioxidant, vitamin, and fiber fix with the medley of low-carb veggies. Salmon, in case you need a refresher, is a terrific source of omega-3 fatty acids, rich in protein, heart-healthy, and may help you sleep better too.
Paleo Grilled Maple-Glazed Salmon Skewers
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- high-heat oil, to brush on the grill
- 1 pound skinned salmon, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 10 asparagus spears, cut into thirds
- 1-2 yellow zucchini, cut into 2-3-inch rounds
- 1-2 green bell peppers, seeds and membrane removed, cut into wedges
- 6 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into 2-3-inch halves
- 4 grilling skewers
- Combine the maple syrup, mustard, and black and red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine. Set aside about 1/4 of the glaze in a separate bowl.
- Lightly brush the grill grates with oil. Set the grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the salmon and vegetables on 4 grilling skewers, alternating each ingredient.
- Place the skewers on a baking pan. Use a brush to coat both sides of each of the skewers with glaze.
- Grill over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, rotating the skewers once during the cook time. The salmon and vegetables should develop grill marks.
- Remove from the grill and use the remaining glaze to drizzle over each skewer.
Interested in more grilling recipes? Check us out on Pinterest!
(Recipe and photos via Patricia Conte / Brit + Co)