8 Runway-Approved Pantone Colors You Need in Your Closet This Fall
Hello, fall. It’s nice to see you again. The glorious days of summer (and all the fabulous crop tops, bikinis and free-wheelin’ dresses that go along with it, sigh) will soon be a distant memory, but with an onslaught of #OOTD-worthy fall trends headed our way (and the promise of a killer fall wardrobe in its wake), it’s safe to say that we’re coping quite well. But it’s not just the prospect of new silhouettes, must-have fall accessories and shoes (oh, the shoes) that have us lusting after cool, autumnal weather — the onset of the new season goes hand in hand with a palette of dramatic, moody hues, the likes of which have been hibernating in the back of the closet since Memorial Day. Below, we’re taking you on a technicolor tour of this season’s hottest shades that are guaranteed to keep the awardrobe blahs at bay. Scroll on for eight of the most need-to-know colors for fall.
Red and orange are autumnal standbys, but shades of yellow always seem to get the snub. This year just might be a game-changer for the iconic fall color, with a hot shade of spicy mustard daring to assert its sartorial power, especially when styled alongside tones of navy, burgundy and denim.
1. Samuji Orange Pead Trouser ($360): Spice up your on-duty routine by swapping out a pair of snoozy black trousers for these statement cropped flares. Teamed with a flowy floral blouse or oversized button-down and asymmetric earrings, they’re a strong contender for wardrobe MVP.
2. Forever21 High Neck Slub Knit Bodysuit ($10): Everybody needs a bodysuit. Consider this ‘70s-inspired stunner the next best thing to a plain white tee when it comes to playing the layering game. Rock it solo with a pleated leather midi skirt and Mary Janes for the office, then dress it down with boyfriend jeans and a pastel blue duster for laid-back weekend shenanigans.
Step aside, Rose Quartz: There’s a new shade of pink in town. More muted and sophisticated than its pastel counterpart, Dusty Cedar flawlessly embodies the new season’s mood, and looks downright DDG with rich, earthy tones and colorful prints alike.
3. J.Crew Lucite Link Necklace ($60): Go ahead and allow yourself to get chained down to these colorful lucite links. The soft shade of pink and grosgrain ribbon balance out the chainlink’s tough-girl styling for a look that’s both modern and feminine. Dress up an everyday tee by popping this beauty on with a boyfriend blazer and suede glove shoes.
4. Mango Cocoon Wool-Blend Coat ($100): Take on cooler temps like it ain’t no thang with a vibrant cocoon topper that screams retro chic. Bad days are impossible with this bright number in tow, especially when paired with embroidered ankle boots and a killer bag.
The lush greens of summer might be fading fast in favor of rich gold, red and copper hues, but Lush Meadow will keep the memory of warmer times alive, even on the most frigid afternoons.
5. H&M Dress With Trumpet Sleeves ($25): LBD? Please. Get ready to swoon hard for this swingy floral dress that’s worthy of happy hour or a casual backyard wedding. The breezy trumpet sleeves lend the frock a free-spirited vibe, while the dark jewel tone adds just the right amount of new-season sophistication. Throw in a messy chignon, berry lipstick and lace-up cutout booties to achieve bohemian goddess status in seconds.
6. Finders Keepers The Way Tunic ($150): A solid fusion of modern elegance and envelope-pushing, this graphic tunic is the only piece you need to send any after-hours outfit into fashion-forward territory. A longer-length silo and eye-catching print provide the perfect balance of in-your-face style and wear-anywhere appeal. Just add streamlined culottes, a glitzy box clutch and statement drop earrings.
Walking the line somewhere between understated and over the top, this spicy orange hue belongs to a more traditional fall palette than, say, fuchsia or pale pink — but average it certainly is not. Wear the color in unexpected ways — like in the form of tailored culottes, for example — for maximum impact.
7. Free People Into the Sea Cardigan ($198): Forget summer — this coppery cardigan has us excited about hunkering down for winter. It’s perfect for transitioning your favorite warm-weather frocks to fall with its long-line silhouette and warm alpaca wool. The only thing missing? Leather knee-high boots and layering necklaces.
8. ASOS High Waisted Peg Pants ($41): Denim doesn’t stand a chance this season with a pair of colorful trousers like this hangin’ around. Style these pumpkin-colored pants with slip-on sneakers and a snuggly sweater for an afternoon of apple picking or a visit to the fairgrounds.
Blue heads over to the dark side this season with dark and stormy shades channeling the return of shorter days. A step beyond navy, the neutral color makes the perfect partner to pastels and brights alike.
9. & Other Stories Luminous Satin Bomber Jackett ($125): Bomb’s away! Any throw-on-and-go layer that can be dressed up or down with little to no effort is always good in our book. Show off those impeccable styling skills by teaming this sleek satin bomber jacket with a flirty midi dress and statement ankle boots for a tough-girl take on a timeless look. Minimalist geometric baubles not required, but highly encouraged.
10. Finery Stella Leather Sling Back With Buckle ($155): Step into fall in style with suede slingback steppers that give sky-high stilettos a run for their money. Between the petite block heel, crossover straps and super soft suede, these swoon-worthy shoes are guaranteed to slay night and day. Stylish enough to wear after-hours and comfy enough to rock on the job, these are the kicks you’ll being reaching for on repeat.
Traditional fall colors are great — don’t get us wrong — but gray days and dipping spirits call for something with a little more oomph. Pantone’s Bodacious is ready to answer the call, providing a much-needed punch of fun color to send bad vibes packin’.
11. Topshop Structured Peg Trouser ($80): Pinstripes might be all the rage, but we’ll be looking to fabulous shades of fuchsia to set our on-the-job ensembles apart. With a little thoughtful styling (just slip them on with a structured blouse and printed silk scarf), you’ll be ready to own the boardroom like the girlboss you are. Finish off your polished yet playful look with chic mules and stud earrings that command attention.
12. Finery Belshaw Fold A Line Skirt ($115): Your approach to dressing? Loud and proud. And you can definitely count on making an entrance when you bust out this architectural skirt. For upcoming nuptials or a night out on the town, wear it with a simple silk cami, leather jacket and glam collar necklace for a serious serving of wow factor. Wallflowers need not apply.
On the flip side of Riverside, there’s Airy Blue, a slightly amped up version of Serenity, one of Pantone’s 2016 Colors of the Year. Pastels are a welcome addition to any cool weather lineup, with their softness and lightness serving as a visual respite from cloud-filled skies.
13. Zara Masculine Coat ($149): You gotta love outerwear that somehow manages to make you feel excited about the prospect of trading out summer dresses for heavy wool sweaters. Bring the drama with straight-from-the-runway shades and pointed-toe loafers with menswear-inspired appeal for a day of errand running (street style #onfleek). After hours, don’t hesitate to team your new favorite layering piece with sequin-studded dresses and streamlined jumpsuits for an all-around unforgettable ensemble.
14. Reformation Ophelia Dress ($218): Hello, gorgeous. Add this pretty printed midi dress to your must-have list. Between pulling bridesmaid duty and schmoozing by the bar, this A-line stunner does it all. Windblown bombshell waves and a flirty cat eye are obligatory as you sashay about town.
There’s just something about red; season after season, the fiery hue reinvents itself, with a hot shade of Aurora Red reigning supreme for fall.
15. Express Bell Sleeve Zip Front Blouse ($50): White button-downs are classic, but if you’re in the market for a new at-work ally, this red-hot number is it. This zip-front top can easily be adopted for the office with a suede pencil skirt or jacquard ankle trousers. Round out your new It-girl-approved uniform with pointed-toe slip-on loafers and a stylish timepiece.
16. Free People Night Out Crossbody ($98): You can take the girl out of the festival, but you can’t take the festival out of the girl. Long after the sun has set over the main stage, this tassel-tastic crossbody will keep the good vibes going. With circular fastenings and boldly colored suede, it’s not one to go unnoticed this season.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.