Picnic season’s been hinting itself into existence for the last few weeks, but with the start of June it is officially ON. At Brit HQ, we like to be able to throw a picnic together at a moment’s notice. But we’re not just talking about chips and salsa, a blanket that used to be a tapestry in your college dorm room and a bag of recycled solo cups. We keep things classy around here, with fancy tea sandwiches, a color blocked cork serving board (DIY tutorial below!) and, of course, wine.
Make a toast to your besties, who make sure you actually take the time to spend an entire day doing nothing in the sunshine. Make a toast to that set of three friends who is always down for an impromptu road trip. Make a toast to your partner, who always pours you a glass of wine when you get home from work. Make a toast to your mom who still sends you a chocolate bunny every Easter. And hey, make a toast to yourself for kicking butt like the #girlboss you are.
All summer long, Chateau Ste. Michelle is inviting all of YOU to head to AToastTo.com to make a toast to your boyfriends, girlfriends, BFFS and more. Once you customize your own toast, share it on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #AToastTo and you’ll be entered for a chance to win some awesome prizes. There’s a new prize package every week, and you might even win a trip to the Summer Concert Series at their actual Chateau in Woodinville, Washington.
2. Color Blocked Cork Serving Board: You’ve likely seen a cork board or two, but what about a color blocked cork board made out of repurposed corks?! After many months of arduous wine-drinking, we ended up with a ton of corks to create our very own board. Scroll on to check out the whole tutorial after we share a few more of our picnic essentials.
3. Teeny Tiny Tea Sandwiches: Tea sandwiches are not just for tea parties! These bite-sized delights are perfect for a picnic and you can make a whole bunch of different combos. My personal fave is definitely Watercress and Herbed Butter. In fact, it would go perfectly with a glass of Chardonnay right about now… ;)
4. Yummy Watermelon Mozzarella Salad: Inspired by a vegetarian take on ceviche, this summery salad is one you’ll wish was bottomless. The sweetness of the watermelon plays beautifully with fresh mozzarella. If you feel like mixing it up, throw in a handful of chopped cucumber and a few fiery jalapeños!
What about that cork serving board? Don’t worry, we’ve got a tutorial for that too. Follow the steps below!
Tools + Materials:
– spray paint (we used navy, sky blue and orange)
– tons of wine corks, ideally around the same size and width
– 12-inch by 12-inch flat cork board
– 12-inch by 12-inch piece of plexiglass
– E-6000 glue
– X-Acto knife
1. Spray paint your base cork board one color. We went with light blue.
2. Lay out your corks on your cork board to see how many you need. If they don’t fit perfectly, now is the time to use an X-Acto knife to cut any excess off the top.
3. Paint your corks! We created four stripes in each color, so we painted 28 sky blue corks, 28 orange ones and 28 navy.
4. Once they’ve dried, use E-6000 glue to attach each cork one by one onto your base board.
5. Squeeze a little E-6000 onto the four corners of your board, and lay the plexiglas down on top to attach. Let dry overnight before using.
Because this project is so customizable, you can change it up for any event or color palette you like. It could also be a great way to make serving boards and trays for a wedding. First, you need to get your layout going. Lay out your corks on your cork board to see how many you need. If they don’t fit perfectly, now is the time to use an X-Acto knife to cut any excess off the top.
Then it’s time to spray paint. Spray paint your base cork board one color. We went with light blue. Then paint your corks! We created four stripes in each color, so we painted 28 sky blue corks, 28 orange ones and 28 navy.
Once they’ve dried, use E-6000 glue to attach each cork one by one onto your base board. Squeeze a little E-6000 onto the four corners of your board, and lay the plexiglas down on top to attach. Let dry overnight before using.
Stripes for the win! Cheers!
Don’t forget to make your festive toasts at AToastTo.com and share using hashtag #AToastTo on Facebook and Twitter to enter for a chance to win all sorts of awesome things.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.