A Spicy Red Velvet Cake Made of Donuts. Oh Yeah, We Made It!
Got a sweet Valentine you’re looking to spoil this year? Try this whimsical wonder: stacked four-high, these Red Hot Velvet Donuts make the perfect two-serving “cake.” No joke! This over-the-top treat is like a cross between rich Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake and luscious Red Velvet—sweet with a bit of spice. Of course, you could always enjoy one “layer” on its own with a cup o’ coffee, but we recommend stacking them sky-high, because, why not? It’s time to celebrate!
<br/>– 1 cup all purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
– 1 1/2 teaspoons red velvet emulsion or
– 1 teaspoon vanilla + red gel food color
For the Pink Almond Glaze:
– 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
– 1/2 teaspoon maraschino cherry juice or pink food gel color
– 3-4 tablespoons milk, or until slightly runny consistency
For the Dark Chocolate Glaze:
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons corn syrup
– 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 3 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
It’s pretty simple: combine powdered sugar, almond extract, and maraschino cherry juice with milk until its consistency is ever so thin, then dunk until your heat’s content (if you’re doing this with freshly baked donuts, make sure they’re still slightly warm for this.) Then, let them cool on a rack while you whip up the finishing touch, aka the dark chocolate glaze.
Once you’ve whisked your chocolatey mixture, let it cool before you generously drizzle it over your donuts. Just move the bowl back and forth over the entire sheet pan so that your drizzles look super pro.
Now for the best part: building your donut cake. You could stack one on top of the other and cross your fingers they stay in place, or you can use decorated cake dowels to keep your stash stacked (read: do this! You can even scroll through this post to find super cute printables to use as cake toppers!)
See what we mean? So pretty…but not pretty enough to NOT want to eat ;)
This unconventional cake is perfect for sharing. Dig in, Valentine!