12 Resort ’17 Looks Serving Up Major RN Inspo
Spring and fall fashion weeks are two of the most highly anticipated events on the fashion calendar. Parties, runway shows that border on performance art, inspiring street style and OMG-worthy designs that leave us wanting to hit fast-forward and head straight into next season — it’s not hard to understand why fashion week creates so much buzz. Resort, on the other hand, tends to fly a bit more under the radar, with an elite few flying across the globe to far-flung destinations to be immersed into a full-on sartorial experience (it’s just as much about the backdrop as it is about the clothes). For fashion enthusiasts and those in the know, resort is the solution to mid-season style ruts, plus it’s a chance for designers to bump up sales in the lull between the spring and fall collections.
1. Dress Over Pants Duo: For days when you want to rock a dress but need a bit of extra coverage (or if you just want to turn some heads), do the dress over pants thing à la Suno. Take your getup there with trend-right silhouettes and embellishments that add visual intrigue and drama. (Photo via Suno)
2. One-Shoulder Dress and Bright Maxi Skirt: It’s no wonder Rosie Assoulin has been a huge hit with fashion babes the world over; her playful-yet-sophisticated design aesthetic is straight-up swoon-worthy. This statement-making ensemble is perfect for sipping cocktails by the bay or enjoying leisurely dinners under the Tuscan sun. Bonus points for bold baubles and next-level shoes. (Photo via Rosie Assoulin)
3. Sporty Knit Midi Dress and Modern Sandals: Like your favorite crochet dress, only better. This sleeveless knit number is breathable and badass, with a sports-chic styling that would partner perfectly with souped-up sneakers and a leather backpack for a bit of urban exploration, or architectural heels and a bomber jacket for a night out on the town. (Photo via Novis)
4. Satin Jackets and Printed Kick Flares: Proof that ’70s-inspired everything is sticking around for yet another season, these flowery Cynthia Rowley kick flares are ready to put your everyday denim to shame. Team ’em with a satin safari jacket, gold drop earrings and mules for an afternoon of boutique shopping, or maybe even a day at the office. (Photo via Cynthia Rowley)
5. Statement Matching Sets: Lazy girls, rejoice! Delpozo dubbed matching sets a must, meaning you can keep on breezing through your morning routine. Step it up with dramatic silhouettes and bold color for a fierce look that requires no effort. Runway-ready shoes and a quirky clutch are non-negotiable. (Photo via Delpozo)
6. White Trousers and Snuggly Sweaters: Ulla Johnson nailed it with this one. White belted trousers and an embellished oversized sweater strike the perfect blend of spring and fall style to deliver an on-point ensemble you’ll want to wear all day, every day. Make the pairing feel anytime-ready by layering it on top of a chic cami and styling alongside ankle-strap pumps and a structured crossbody bag. (Photo via Ulla Johnson)
7. Knit Tunics and Midi Skirts: Creative layering is a key component of resort, and Acne Studios has certainly mastered the art. For maximum impact, take your most free-wheelin’ summer pieces (think: tie-dye skirts and ikat dresses) and pop them underneath a knitted mini dress or tunic in an ombre print or eye-catching design, for a mix-and-match look that will earn you best-dressed status at your next dinner party. Round out the look with a skinny scarf and ankle boots for #OOTD perfection. (Photo via Acne Studios)
8. Printed Jackets and Shorts: A matching set you can sport by the pool and on a swanky night out? Sign us up! Effortlessly class up a pair of printed shorts with a lightened-up longline jacket, like this oversized Milly number, for a killer beach-to-street outfit that feels ready to partay, especially when paired with embellished slides and a glitzy ear cuff. (Photo via Milly)
9. Tweed Skirt and Sporty Knit Top: While resort is traditionally geared toward those much-needed mid-winter getaways, designer houses like Carven have begun incorporating plenty of workplace-appropriate attire — like this DDG sleeveless knit and midi skirt duo — into the mix for max versatility, and maybe even to make those of us that won’t be cashing in on a ticket to paradise feel a little bit better. (Photo via Carven)
10. Workwear 2.0: Heading to the office doesn’t have to mean suiting up — a sleek pair of trousers and a stylish blouse are all you need to get HR’s stamp of approval. Instead of resorting to snoozy black slacks and a white button-down, follow Hellessy’s lead and team relaxed-fit pants with a dramatic blouse overlaid with a simple cami for a getup that reads bold and ready for business. (Photo via Hellessy New York)
11. Ruffle Crop Flares and a Graphic Top: Whether you’re picnicking in the park or strolling along the boardwalk, a pair of cropped flares will always see you through. Printed sleeveless blouses and bright clogs will keep your bottoms grounded in warm-weather territory, but they can easily be worn with a mock-neck knit or ribbed long-sleeve tee and booties when the temps take a plunge. (Photo via Christina Economou)
12. Bomber Jackets and Frilly Skirts: Elegant athleisure for an exotic escape? Yes, please. If Johnathan Simkhai has anything to say about it, sports chic will be your new signature move when it comes to traditional dressing. Dress it up with a ladylike blouse and strappy heels, or play it cool for a weekend hang sesh with a laid-back tee and high-top trainers. (Photo via Johnathan Simkhai)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!